+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am in the middle of The City by Dean Koontz. Its a bit different than his usual fare, but quite interesting nontheless! The City by Dean Koontz

I've recommended Mira Grant's Newsflesh series, the first of which is Feed. She's started a new series, Parisitology, last fall. I'm reading the first installment, Parasite. Once again, totally original concept:
    A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.

We owe our good health to a humble parasite -- a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the Intestinal Bodyguard worm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system -- even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them.

But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives . . . and will do anything to get them.
    I just looked and the Kindle version is $1.99 right now, in case anyone is interested. I just started the book last night, but I'm already hooked. She's got one of the most creative, inventive minds I've ever come across.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I listened to Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior during my recent long drives. I have loved/hated her books (couldn't finish The Lacuna) but this one was perfectly engaging with turns of phrase and imagery I loved.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've recommended Mira Grant's Newsflesh series, the first of which is Feed. She's started a new series, Parisitology, last fall. I'm reading the first installment, Parasite. Once again, totally original concept:

I just looked and the Kindle version is $1.99 right now, in case anyone is interested. I just started the book last night, but I'm already hooked. She's got one of the most creative, inventive minds I've ever come across.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm adding that to my list! I enjoyed her first trilogy, too.

Right now I'm tearing through The Twelve, the second of Justin Cronin's The Passage trilogy. A review I read called it a combination of King's The Stand, McCarthy's The Road, and the movie I Am Legend, which is pretty accurate.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

It's really terrific, way. I think you'll enjoy it. I've been reading some books lately that are on the slow side. This one is definitely a quick read. I'm already 250+ pages in. I blew through about 70 pages this afternoon without even realizing it.

I'm not sure how long that low price will last on Amazon, but $1.99 is pretty good.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I read the last 400-ish pages of Parasite in a few sittings today. I love it when that happens. I just ignored the world and disappeared into a book.

Now it's happening again with Matthew Quick's The Good Luck of Right Now (he wrote The Silver Linings Playbook), which could not be more different from Parasite. It's a very quirky and totally original book, but a bit hard to describe.
    For thirty-eight years, Bartholomew Neil has lived with his mother. When she gets sick and dies, he has no idea how to be on his own. His redheaded grief counselor, Wendy, says he needs to find his flock and leave the nest. But how does a man whose whole life has been grounded in his mom, Saturday mass, and the library learn how to fly?

Bartholomew thinks he’s found a clue when he discovers a “Free Tibet” letter from Richard Gere hidden in his mother’s underwear drawer. In her final days, mom called him Richard—there must be a cosmic connection. Believing that the actor is meant to help him, Bartholomew awkwardly starts his new life, writing Richard Gere a series of highly intimate letters. Jung and the Dalai Lama, philosophy and faith, alien abduction and cat telepathy, the Catholic Church and the mystery of women are all explored in his soul-baring epistles. But mostly the letters reveal one man’s heartbreakingly earnest attempt to assemble a family of his own.

A struggling priest, a “Girlbrarian,” her feline-loving, foul-mouthed brother, and the spirit of Richard Gere join the quest to help Bartholomew. In a rented Ford Focus, they travel to Canada to see the cat Parliament and find his biological father . . . and discover so much more.
    If it's not clear, the entire book - so far, at least - is letters to Richard Gere. Seems odd, but it totally works as a narrative device. I'm 80= pages in right now. I'll probably finish it tomorrow and then on to the next title!

Oh, wow - that sounds so quirky! I'm casting about for my next read and will have to try that, even though I just put a bunch of titles on my Kindle for my pilot daughter.
    Count your blessings!

I just finished The Good Luck of Right Now. Fun, fast read. Touching and unique. Thanks, Critical!
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I stayed up until 3am to finish it! I love a fast, fun read. It definitely had substance too. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you did too!

I started Anna Quindlen's Still Life With Breadcrumbs before going to sleep this morning. She's one of my favorite writers, so I'm looking forward to getting into this one. It's not very long, so I should finish it pretty quickly. I think I'm about 50 pages in already.

It's been a book weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I've recommended "Death by Food Pyramid" to several people after you recommended it to me. My family thinks I'm a "hop on every food fad" kind of person, but I'm just trying to find the healthiest way of life I can. After a cholesterol test came back high and I refused to go on statins, my doctor gave me a list of foods not to eat which was mostly saturated fats. I've done a lot of research since then and have learned a.) saturated fats have NOT been linked to high cholesterol and b.) high cholesterol - especially in women over 50 - does not indicate a higher mortality rate. In fact it is protective for things other than heart disease (like cancer).
    My current understanding from the books is saturated fats are related to higher cholesterol and that it tends to raise both HDL and LDL and that the LDL increase may be the good (larger, fluffier, less dense) LDL. What was never proved was that higher cholesterol is a cause of heart disease although they can be associated. The establishment became obsessed with LDL levels and only wanted to consider the impact on overall LDL, ignoring the positive effect on HDL and that an increase in HDL can help modify any impact from higher LDL even if it's the bad LDL.

I really wish nutrition facts could be aligned in some meta form (like this book) and dispersed to doctors/public.
    Good luck getting doctors to read anything. I just had my annual exam. I had the audacity to present my primary (which this time turned out to be a nurse practitioner and a nursing student) with my recommended nutrition reading list. The list was returned to me along with my blood test results (outstanding, by the way...). I doubt they photocopied it first. ; ^)

One of the enemies of nutrition education IMO is Dr. Oz. He reports on every single diet craze that comes down the pike, often with opposite advice within one show. It drives me crazy.
    As of The Big Fat Surprise, even Dr. Oz apparently is now agreeing that saturated fats aren't so bad.

+ Reply to Thread