+ Reply to Thread
Page 705 of 709 FirstFirst ... 205605655695696697698699700701702703704705706707708709 LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,050 of 7081
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished the Art Forger by BA Shapiro. Could not put it down, start to finish. I majored in English and Art History... I was fascinated- young artists struggling to make it, celebrity and infamy, questions of what exactly creates value in art. Bad choices in men... This book had a little of everything I find interesting.

My book club enjoyed that one, Cornholio There was a lot of good material for discussion on all the points you mentioned.

I just got an e-galley of The Art Restorer by Julian Sanchez.
    Enrique Alonso travels from his new home in Manhattan to San Sebastián, Spain, to attend the reopening of the San Telmo museum, where his ex-wife, Bety, works in public relations. There he meets American Craig Bruckner, a retired art restorer studying the museum’s collection of works by Sert—a contemporary of Picasso and Dalí who worked for the most famous billionaires of his time and whose mural American Progress graces the walls of Rockefeller Center. When Bruckner is found drowned in La Concha bay, Bety suspects foul play and Enrique agrees to help her look into the man’s death. Their investigation reveals a mystery connected with Sert’s checkered past, which provides fertile ground for the new thriller Enrique is writing, and the plot develops in parallel to his research.

Enrique and Bety’s reconstruction of the artist’s clandestine activities during World War II leads them to Paris, Barcelona, and New York, and in the process forces them to face their own past. But they are not the only ones interested in Sert’s work, and it appears there is more to his paintings than meets the eye.
    I was hoping it might be a good one for one of my book clubs, but I just discovered it's ONLY an e-book. The median age of this club is about 60 (and it only skews younger because there are three of us in our 30's or 40s) and I think maybe 3 have e-readers....possibly only 2 and that includes me! Oh well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm deep into My Name is Asher Lev and OMG, I am in LOVE with this book. I have SO much to do for my other (more lucrative) business, but I just want to read. It's this combination of a really deep, beautifully written novel and a total page-turner. I was crushed to learn that Chaim Potok passed away in 2002, which means he won't write any more books, but excited to discover that he wrote six other books I get to read for the first ime. I need to finish this one for my book club and I both can't stop reading and don't want it to end.
    Wow!. Just Wow! I cannot put this book down. Started reading this morning and will finish before my head hits the pillow. Had to run to the dump and make something to eat, but other than that, I'm rolling in it. Thanks!
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

It's now in my Kindle. I'm almost afraid to start because of the emotions it might bring.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Wow!. Just Wow! I cannot put this book down. Started reading this morning and will finish before my head hits the pillow. Had to run to the dump and make something to eat, but other than that, I'm rolling in it. Thanks!
    I'm so glad!
    Gutmutter likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I finished Jennifer Weiner's All Fall Down over the weekend. It definitely wasn't her usual chic lit-ish stuff. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it was good. Just a bit depressing, since it was about addiction.

I finished The Glass Kitchen and absolutely loved it. I'm starting on The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)/

I just downloaded it (Glass Kitchen) after reading the synopsis on Amazon. Sounds like just what I need after two heavier books. Thanks!
    GabbyG likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just downloaded it (Glass Kitchen) after reading the synopsis on Amazon. Sounds like just what I need after two heavier books. Thanks!
    I hope you like it as much as I did.

Our 3 choices for our next book club meeting:

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler
    Amazon.com: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves: A Novel eBook: Karen Joy Fowler: Kindle Store
    Meet the Cooke family. Our narrator is Rosemary Cooke. As a child, she never stopped talking; as a young woman, she has wrapped herself in silence: the silence of intentional forgetting, of protective cover. Something happened, something so awful she has buried it in the recesses of her mind.
    Now her adored older brother is a fugitive, wanted by the FBI for domestic terrorism. And her once lively mother is a shell of her former self, her clever and imperious father now a distant, brooding man.
    And Fern, Rosemary’s beloved sister, her accomplice in all their childhood mischief? Fern’s is a fate the family, in all their innocence, could never have imagined.

Life After Life- Kate Atkinson
    Life After Life: A Novel - Kindle edition by Kate Atkinson. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
    On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization.
    Wildly inventive, darkly comic, startlingly poignant — this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best, playing with time and history, telling a story that is breathtaking for both its audacity and its endless satisfactions.

The Giver (movie out on August 15)– Lois Lowery
    Amazon.com: The Giver (illustrated; gift edition) (Giver Quartet) eBook: Lois Lowry: Kindle Store
    Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

+ Reply to Thread