+ Reply to Thread
Page 704 of 709 FirstFirst ... 204604654694695696697698699700701702703704705706707708709 LastLast
Results 7,031 to 7,040 of 7081
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Finished The Book Thief...I had tears streaming down my face by the end. I'm such a wuss.

And I just started Mr. Mercedes, Stephen King's latest. It's not a supernatural story, more of a cop vs. lunatic thriller. I like it so far.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Jim Dale is the reader for the Harry Potter books. He is AMAZING. He does different voices and what's REALLY weird is that the audiobooks were available long before the movies, but he has nailed some of the character voices so perfectly that you'd think the actors are doing the voices (especially Hagrid and Professor Lupin). In the first couple of books, he mispronounces "Gryffindor" and "Voldemort," which I think is REALLY weird. Didn't J. K. Rowling listen to the first book before the second book was produced?

I have severe tinnitus, and must have a distracting sound playing as I fall asleep. I have been listening to the HP audiobooks for several years now, and am probably on my 5th time through them. I start out each night by advancing a little past where I started the night before, and am usually asleep pretty quickly. Jim Dale's voice relaxes me.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I got started listening to the Harry Potter books while mowing the lawns (takes about six hours a week). One of my favorite audiobooks is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

For those of you who plan to read The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, she posted on facebook that there are many copies being given away right now. Just google "the book of life giveaway", since I've already pre-ordered, I didn't enter any of the drawings.

FORT Newbie

If you are into audiobooks, I really the guy who reads Game of Thrones I like to listen to them while I'm at work and I pick up A LOT more now that I've read them and I'm re-listening to them.
    Also, I like to listen to The Hunger Games while I'm running (I'm training for a marathon in January) and I've found that my mile time is a full minute when I have HG on than with any other book. I guess, mentally, I'm in the arena....

FORT Fogey

I finished a great book tonight called The Heights, by Peter Hedges. A friend gave it to me a few years ago. Since that time it's been in my "to read" drawer but I've always grabbed something else. I picked it up about a week ago figuring if it bored me I'd stop reading, and I could not put it down! It's a pretty simple story of a husband and wife living a basic suburban life. Their lives shift when she becomes the breadwinner and he's the stay at home dad, and some new neighbors move in. Those simple shifts lead them to discover new elements of their life. I really really liked it!

I think I have that on my Kindle, but never read it. I'll have to look for it.
    Count your blessings!

for our next smaller book club (now I'm part of 2!), we are going to read The End of Always by Randi Davenport:
    A stunning debut novel, THE END OF ALWAYS tells the story of one young woman's struggle to rise above a vicious family legacy and take charge of her own life.

In 1907 Wisconsin, seventeen-year-old Marie Reehs is determined: she will not marry a violent man, as did her mother and grandmother before her. Day after day, Marie toils at the local laundry, watched by an older man who wants to claim her for his own. Night after night, she is haunted by the memory of her mother, who died in a mysterious accident to which her father was the only witness. She longs for an independent life, but her older sister wants nothing more than to maintain the family as it was, with its cruel rules and punishments. Her younger sister is too young to understand.

At first, it seems that Marie's passionate love affair with a charismatic young man will lead her to freedom. But she soon realizes that she too may have inherited the Reehs women's dark family curse.

Set in the lush woods and small towns of turn-of-the-century Wisconsin, and inspired by real events in the author's family history, THE END OF ALWAYS is a transcendent story of one woman's desperate efforts to escape a brutal heritage. Both enthralling and deeply lyrical, Randi Davenport's novel is also an intensely affecting testament to the power of determination and hope, and a gripping reminder of our nation's long love affair with violence.

I'm at the beginning (maybe 10% on my Kindle) of Jennifer Weiner's new one All Fall Down. It's a little more serious than some of the others of hers I've read. It's about a working wife and mother who has an addiction to prescription drugs.
    Allison Weiss got her happy ending—a handsome husband, an adorable little girl, a job she loves, and a big house in the suburbs. But when she’s in the pediatrician’s office with her daughter and a magazine flips open to a quiz about addiction, she starts to wonder whether her use of prescription pills is becoming a problem. On the one hand, it’s just prescription medication, the stuff her doctors give her. Is a Percocet at the end of a hard day really different than a glass of wine? Is it such a bad thing to pop a Vicodin after a brutal Jump & Pump class…or after your husband ignores you?

Back in the car, with her daughter safely buckled behind her, Allison opens the Altoid tin in her purse and slips a chalky white oval underneath her tongue. The pill unties her knotted muscles, erases the grime and ugliness of the city, soothes her as she frets about the truth of her looking-good life: that her husband’s becoming distant, that her daughter is acting out, that her father’s early Alzheimer’s is worsening and her mother’s barely managing to cope. She tells herself that the pills let her make it through her days…but what if her ever-increasing drug use, a habit that’s becoming expensive and hard to hide, is turning into her biggest problem of all?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I'm reading The Kill Switch by James Rollins and Grant Blackwood.
    It's a fiction action thriller featuring a Sigma Force soldier and his K-9 partner who are sent to rescue someone from Russia.
    K-9's and their handlers fascinate me and I enjoy reading about them.

I just got an ARC of Linda Francis Lee's new book, The Glass Kitchen, and since she wrote Emily and Einstein, which I loved, I'll be starting it next.

+ Reply to Thread