+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Newbie

Re: What are you reading?

I read the Unwind series. My husband used to teach 7th grade English and it was one of the books they read. I liked them, but they were hard to read because the idea "unwinding" is hard to stomach. I hope there is a 4th book coming out, because if there isn't, the ending to the series was awful

I read Lost Lake a new book written by Sarah Addison Allen. A nice book to read over the weekend.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm currently reading Hollywood Divorces by Jackie Collins and just bought Divergent so I'll be getting to it soon.

Just started reading The Book Thief in between Game of Thrones books. I love it. Love the style, love the whole tone.
    awesomekina23 likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I heard an interview with an author who's books sound interesting. Marianne Malone The Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventures, series. The books are for grade level 3-7. The books center around two sixth graders who visit the The Chicago Art Institute. They find the Thorne Rooms which contain miniatures depicting different time periods. The girl finds a key which allows her to shrink and enter the miniatures. The author said they were also good read aloud books.
    The books might be fun summer adventure book to read. I thought some of you who had children, might like to check them out. ( I might check them out )

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Just started reading The Book Thief in between Game of Thrones books. I love it. Love the style, love the whole tone.
    The Book Thief is one of my favorites! Choosing Death as the narrator really sets an intriguing and mysterious tone.
    waywyrd likes this.

I'm still reading Maugham's The Trembling of a Leaf on my Kindle. Lovely little short stories.

I'm also still working my way through Potok's I Am Asher Lev as well. I'm also trying to get through The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson in time for my book club meeting this coming Saturday, but it's really not a book to read quickly. I may skip the meeting to avoid being spoiled so I can savor the book without feeling rushed.
    Pak Jun Do is the haunted son of a lost mother—a singer “stolen” to Pyongyang—and an influential father who runs a work camp for orphans. Superiors in the state soon recognize the boy’s loyalty and keen instincts. Considering himself “a humble citizen of the greatest nation in the world,” Jun Do rises in the ranks. He becomes a professional kidnapper who must navigate the shifting rules, arbitrary violence, and baffling demands of his Korean overlords in order to stay alive. Driven to the absolute limit of what any human being could endure, he boldly takes on the treacherous role of rival to Kim Jong Il in an attempt to save the woman he loves, Sun Moon, a legendary actress “so pure, she didn’t know what starving people looked like.”
    It won the Pulitzer and, only 50 pages in, it's not disappointing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm currently reading Hollywood Divorces by Jackie Collins and just bought Divergent so I'll be getting to it soon.
    I'm reading the last book in The Mortal Instruments....

I really enjoyed Divergent!!
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I heard an interview with an author who's books sound interesting. Marianne Malone The Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventures, series. The books are for grade level 3-7. The books center around two sixth graders who visit the The Chicago Art Institute. They find the Thorne Rooms which contain miniatures depicting different time periods. The girl finds a key which allows her to shrink and enter the miniatures. The author said they were also good read aloud books.
    The books might be fun summer adventure book to read. I thought some of you who had children, might like to check them out. ( I might check them out )
    I heard that interview also. I've read The Sixty-Eight Rooms and while I wanted to love it because of the idea of it, it was a little slow and I haven't really recommended it to any students yet. But I have requested the sequels through my library system and hope that the pace of action picks up. I am thinking that if I had a book about the Thorne Rooms, that it might be a way to draw some students into the books.

Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I finished The Book Thief recently and thought the movie was a good compliment to the book. But I liked the book better! There were so many details that were left out of the movie.

Hopefully it is okay to talk about books turning into movies in this thread because both If I Stay and A Fault in our Stars were such powerful YA books and both will be released as movies soon. If you haven't read them, give them a try.

Other books that I've read recently include The Goldfinch. It was a satisfying read but could it have been shorter without sacrificing anything? What a journey and a friendship Theo and Boris experienced...

Eleanor & Park written by Rainbow Rowell really affected me. It features the weird girl that gets made fun of at school. Another YA book that is going to be a movie soon. I hope they do it right. The friendship that develops between E & P starts on the bus as they sit next to each other was funny and had me rooting for a relationship that would last.

Anyone read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline? Pop culture from the 80's is at the core of this novel that takes place in the dystopian future of 2044. Mix up the virtual OASIS world with a treasure contest involving 1980's trivia for a fun read.

Oh yeah, one more that I finished recently - Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King. Another YA novel that is worth reading. This one didn't capture my attention as much as some of the others I mentioned, but it kept my mind occupied wondering how it would all turn out in the end and I found the end to be satisfying.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, the second of a trilogy. Vampires, witches, demons, time traveling craziness...as with the first book, it took me about 100 pages to get into it. I enjoyed the trip back to Elizabethan England, but the plot got a bit muddy with the addition of so many new characters (it also clocks in at almost 600 pages). I hope the last book is a bit clearer.
    She has posted chapter one of the third book on her facebook page. I think it is going to be really good.

Read Chapter 1 from The Book of Life - Deborah Harkness
    waywyrd likes this.

+ Reply to Thread