+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Because I seem to need to read multiple books at once....

I'm still reading Matthiesen's In Paradise, but it's pretty heavy stuff, so I can't read much in one sitting.

I just started I Am Asher Lev by Chaim Potok for one of my book clubs. It's the story of a young man who's compelled to create art, but that runs counter to his Hasidic Judaism. So far, I'm enjoying it, although I'm only about a chapter in.

I'm also reading Maugham's The Trembling of a Leaf Little Stories of the South Sea Islands. One of my book clubs read Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence last year and I fell in love with his writing. I downloaded a bunch of free versions of his books onto my Kindle. My other book club is reading Of Human Bondage soon. My goal is to read everything he's written. I can't believe it took me this long to discover him!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My sister and I grew up having Golden Books read to us, us reading them on our own, her reading to me and much later, reading them to our children. My sister gave me the coolest book for Mother's Day,

Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book written by Diane Muldrow. She wrote tips for life in today's world and used images from Golden Books to illustrate their meaning. On each page, she listed the book of the illustration.
    If you grew up reading Golden Books, you might enjoy taking a trip down memory lane.

My sister laughed when she gave it too me saying, "I should have colored in this book like you used to do in all of my books". She got the brains and I got the creativity.

Got a lot of reading done on vacation the other week! Read both Typhoid Mary and Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain, both good (and more gentle in style than his first book). Also The Rented Mule by Bobby Cole, a pretty good mystery/thriller.

AND I finally chugged through A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire, which I've been meaning to do for a long time. I'm kicking myself that I waited this long! The book is fantastic and I wish I'd read it before I started watching the series, it really would have helped get me get my head wrapped around the storylines easier. Now I have to decide whether I want to read past where the series is at and spoil myself, or stop reading and be surprised...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    AND I finally chugged through A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire, which I've been meaning to do for a long time. I'm kicking myself that I waited this long! The book is fantastic and I wish I'd read it before I started watching the series, it really would have helped get me get my head wrapped around the storylines easier. Now I have to decide whether I want to read past where the series is at and spoil myself, or stop reading and be surprised...
    "One of us...one of us...." Told you! I think the decision is out of your hands, my friend. Once you start the series, you won't be able to stop until the last page!
    waywyrd and Misty8723 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I know! I've been thinking about the damn book since I finished. I'm officially obsessed. I have to zip through my monthly Kindle/Prime freebies so I can dive into the next 800 page monster...

I remember blowing through book 2 in a weekend. I literally did nothing but read....and drink lots of tea and maybe eat a bit. I couldn't read fast enough. I did book 3 in about a week. Book 4 took longer, but book 5 was less than a week. I'm re-reading the series for the 4th time This time though, I'm just taking my time and reading other things as well. Funny how many new things you catch even if you've already read them several times.
    waywyrd likes this.

I just downloaded the 6th book in the graves series by Darynda Jones.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I've been reading some of the books my children have recommended... The Fault in Our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines (both by John Green), and Playground (by 50 Cent). My daughter has been on a tear through a series by Neal Shusterman that begins with Unwind, but not yet sure I'm in the mood for the subject matter yet -- the 'unwinding' has to do with harvesting the organs of unwanted teens -- and I'm not as crazy about series books as she is.
    remember to play

Darn, I wish I could remember the name, but there is an English movie about children being bred to be organ donors. I had a hard time with the movie, I don't think I could read about it in a book.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Never Let Me Go is the one you're thinking of, Ariel (I think!). It was a disturbing movie.
    Arielflies likes this.

+ Reply to Thread