+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read Atlas Shrugged years ago - I think when I was around 18. I remember loving it, but skimming/skipping the big political rant at the end of the book. I guess my political views were already set.

It took me longer than I'd anticipated, but I finished Leila Meacham's Somerset a few days ago. It's a family saga set mostly in Texas beginning before statehood and continuing into the early-20th century. This is a prequel to Meacham's book Roses, which I read a few years ago. Nothing deep and meaningful, but not total fluff either. Sort of makes me wish I hadn't read Roses yet because I don't remember much of it book now. I guess I could read it again, but there are just too many books to read for the first
    time.

Now I'm reading two different books - one on the Kindle and one in PB. First is Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield. Kind of an odd book, but a quick read:
    Caught up in a moment of boyhood competition, William Bellman recklessly aims his slingshot at a rook resting on a branch, killing the bird instantly. It is a small but cruel act, and is soon forgotten. By the time he is grown, with a wife and children of his own, William seems to have put the whole incident behind him. It was as if he never killed the thing at all. But rooks don’t forget . . .

Years later, when a stranger mysteriously enters William’s life, his fortunes begin to turn—and the terrible and unforeseen consequences of his past indiscretion take root. In a desperate bid to save the only precious thing he has left, he enters into a rather strange bargain, with an even stranger partner. Together, they found a decidedly macabre business.

And Bellman & Black is born.
    I'm also reading In Paradise, Peter Matthiessen's final book.
    In the winter of 1996, more than a hundred women and men of diverse nationality, background, and belief gather at the site of a former concentration camp for an unprecedented purpose: a weeklong retreat during which they will offer prayer and witness at the crematoria and meditate in all weathers on the selection platform, while eating and sleeping in the quarters of the Nazi officers who, half a century before, sent more than a million Jews to their deaths. Clements Olin, an American academic of Polish descent, has come along, ostensibly to complete research on the death of a survivor, even as he questions what a non-Jew can contribute to the understanding of so monstrous a catastrophe. As the days pass, tensions, both political and personal, surface among the participants, stripping away any easy pretense to healing or closure. Finding himself in the grip of emotions and impulses of bewildering intensity, Olin is forced to abandon his observer’s role and to embrace a history his family has long suppressed—and with it the yearnings and contradictions of being fully alive.
    I've always loved Matthiessen's writing. This one is particularly poignant, not just because of the subject matter, but because he passed away just days before it was released.

As if that wasn't enough, I'm also making my way through Reading Joss Whedon, a scholarly look at Whedon's work. Apparently, Buffy is one of the most widely written about series in academia. As a super fan of the Whedonverse, I'm enjoying it. It makes me see his series and work in a totally different way.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have been reading a lot of time travel themed books lately. Just finished Now and Then by Jaquelin Sheehan, Now & Then (2009) - Jacqueline Sheehan . And have started reading Immortal by Dean Crawford, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13547523-immortal

FORT Newbie

I just finished reading The Girl Who Came Home a fictional story (based on real life people) of a girl who leaves Ireland at 17 with 14 people from her town. They are steerage passengers on the Titanic. It is $1.99 on B&N nook right now. I love the Titanic and I find that a lot of the books are written from a first class POV, so I liked this from that perspective. I wish it went into more detail about their lives on Titanic, but for the price, it was a good quick read.

I also just finished The Fault in Our Stars which was depressing and predictable. I didn't hate it, but I won't read again (and I'm a big re-reader) and I don't think I'll see the movie. Kids with cancer is not something I need to read about again.

I'm now in the middle of The Boleyn King another $1.99 find on BN. It's a "what if" book. What if Anne Boleyn delivered a healthy boy? I'm liking it so far.

I just finished The Art of Arranging Flowers by Lynn Branard. I expected fluffy chick lit and that's what I got. It was okay, but I'm glad it was a quick read. WAY too much about flowers (the main character is a florist) and too little emotional payoff. It seemed like ALL of the big emotional scenes happened "off the page" - the book version of off camera, I guess. I didn't quite see the point.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I finally broke down and Googled, "atlas shrugged synopsis". I read half the book and found it was unbearably didactic for whole passages. I was skimming a lot and nodding off. I get it. It resolved pretty much the way I predicted with one romantic swerve I didn't expect. Now on to something I will enjoy more. Don't judge.
    Count your blessings!

But the time I was vaguely interested in Atlas Shrugged, the small print of every edition I could find was way beyond my ability to read it any more.

If I'm ever dictator one of my decrees will be banishing small print - the stuff that those young whippersnappers think is just dandy.

You need a Kindle.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    You need a Kindle.
    It's been great for my father, who has cataracts and glaucoma.

I put his Kindle on my account and just loaded it up with free books and e-galleys. He didn't realize you could change the font size. I showed him how and now he uses it pretty much every day.

Besides the print size, I love that I could change the background color from white to ecru. That helps when my eyes are tired.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I just finished This is Where I Leave You. I really enjoyed it. It was a great combination of humor, drama, and just enough observations about life that you read and thought "yes!". My book club chose it from one of those "read before the movie comes out" lists, so I had teh benefit of knowing how they will cast the book and read it in those voices. With that help I have to say the movie will be perfectly cast! I just started reading Room too, but I'm only about 20 pages in so far.
    Our book club is voting between this and Divergent. So far Divergent is winning but I really want to read This is Where I Leave You!

+ Reply to Thread