+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 715 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120170570 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Started reading Belladonna by Karen Moline. Eh, it's ok so far.
    Ludicrous speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Skin Child
    I've just finished reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman. Fabulous book. He crafts fantasy and horror together so well.
    I think that's my favourite Gaiman book. Yes, I'm aware it's meant for children I love his other work too, but the writing in Coraline is just exceptional.

I've started Dude, Where's My Country?. Now, I'm a Michael Moore fan, but anyone would have to admit the guy is an extremely gifted writer. I didn't think I could be so entertained by American politics but he is a very witty and engaging writer. Excellent so far.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I think that's my favourite Gaiman book. Yes, I'm aware it's meant for children I love his other work too, but the writing in Coraline is just exceptional.

I've started Dude, Where's My Country?. Now, I'm a Michael Moore fan, but anyone would have to admit the guy is an extremely gifted writer. I didn't think I could be so entertained by American politics but he is a very witty and engaging writer. Excellent so far.
    I'll have to look Coraline up to see if they have it in my library; I've been known to read children's books myself. I loved American Gods.

I read Dude, Where's My Country when it first came out. Even if you don't espouse Moore's political views (and I do, to an extent), you have to admit he's entertaining.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

You guys have convinced me to go look up some Neil Gaiman books at the library tonight.
    Particularly since my library hasn't put Carl Hiaason's new book on the shelves yet -- -- and I'm on the wait-list for "Rule of Four."
    I don't know if I'll make it to "Coraline", though -- my library sequesters the children's books in their own little section, and the librarians look at any childless adult that wanders in as though we're pervs.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    Lucy, if you think that's bad, imagine the looks one would get sitting around a college campus thumbing through picture books. I've been known to do that, especially when I'm choosing books for lessons. If it makes you feel any better, my Lit prof told us that children's books are not intended only for children, that as adults we can get profound meaning by going back and reading books that are supposedly "too young" for us.

I have a two week break and I might, just might, actually have time to read a book. Read a book for pleasure, no less! You guys have intrigued me to look into Neil Gaiman, too. Which one would you recommend as a "starter"?

American Gods, Scarlett if for no other reason that you'll be able to talk about it with all of us They're all good.

Just to clarify, Coraline has some very frightening imagery, it's for older children, not little ones. I would recommend it for the tween set, for a break from Harry Potter and the Olsen twins. A mature pre-teen reader would likely appreciate the unusual story and quality writing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just finished Mystic River. What an excellent book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    You guys have convinced me to go look up some Neil Gaiman books at the library tonight.
    Particularly since my library hasn't put Carl Hiaason's new book on the shelves yet -- -- and I'm on the wait-list for "Rule of Four."
    I don't know if I'll make it to "Coraline", though -- my library sequesters the children's books in their own little section, and the librarians look at any childless adult that wanders in as though we're pervs.
    The Rule of Four was great. When my husband asked me what it was about I told him " A fifteenth century book called the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili" and he said "Oh".

Lucy, you MUST read American Gods. It was fascinating - a big change from "chick lit", which I love, and mysteries, which I also love.
    I took your advice on The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, and it finally arrived in the mail the other day. I am starting it this evening - a birthday present to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Just finished Mystic River. What an excellent book.
    Jewelsy, that was a great book. I totally didn't see the end coming, did you? I have a couple of other Dennis LeHane books but I haven't read them yet.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I know, Dina. The ending was a total surprise.

+ Reply to Thread