+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Okay, I'm starting to read The Hobbit. I, first off, saw where JK Rowling picked up her narration style and her calling out through the Dursleys that anything not ordinary was not to be born. Then, while Bilbo has collapsed with the call to adventure ringing through his ears, the narrator brings up his ancestor who was tall enough to ride on a horse and went into battle against the goblins. "...knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit-hole, and in this way the battle was won and the game of Golf invented at the same moment."

Excuse me while I recline on my sofa...not from tickled sensibilities, but from a tickled funny bone. You didn't tell me this book had humor.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm glad you're enjoying it! One of the funniest passages Tolkien ever wrote details the series of gifts Bilbo leaves to various citizens of Hobbiton - and the accompanying notes - as he prepares to take his leave at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring. I've read it so many times, but it still makes me laugh.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's been so long - I need to read it all again. I was so obsessed with the described color of the cloaks the elves gave the hobbits, that DECADES later, I saw a raincoat that immediately hit the WINNER! button in my head and I bought it on the spot. My dad and I shared a special love for that book in particular of the series. I made drawings from it and he created a most magical wooden box, carved inside and out (with secret drawers and sliding tiles) to hold the books.
    hobbit box.jpg
    Count your blessings!

I just finished Innocence by Dean Koontz. In no way is this a typical horror novel. It is thought provoking and, in some ways, uplifting. It was a slow starter for me but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I will say no more because trying to figure things out is half the fun of this book.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I'm reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.

I read The Maze Runner over the weekend. I saw a preview for the movie when we went to see Divergent, which reminded me I had it. I really liked the book - and read it in 2 days. Then of course I discovered it was a trilogy, so now I'm reading the second one. While I loved the book, I'm not sure I want to see the movie. Kind of like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I loved the book, but knowing what was in it, I really didn't want to see it on the big screen! Same thing here. But I highly recommend it to others - and unlike other YA novels (if this even is), there really isn't a romance - it is just action and suspense.

I am reading The Exorcist for my horror book club for the first time, even though I have seen the movie a dozen times. Wow, it is really good! There is some insight that was not in the movie, but it is making me realize sjust how good that movie is as it has the heart of the book. I was so creeped out after finishing the spider walk scene, that I dreamt of it last night!
    waywyrd likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

We all read that back in the 70s. I remember my dad being afraid late at night when he had been reading it. There was some incident involved about him putting down the book and going around the house to check that all the doors were locked. Something spooked him and we teased him about it for years, but that's been so long ago, I forget the details. Just sayin' - he was a man not easily scared, but that book unnerved him.
    I just downloaded Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand on my brother's recommendation. He said it was the book that most influenced him outside the Bible. I've heard others say negative things about it and reviews on Amazon are mixed. Anyone here read it and have comments for me?
    Count your blessings!

A lot of people say you either love Rand or hate her - I'm ambivalent. I don't care for objectivism but as works of fiction, I quite enjoyed Atlas Shrugged, though I preferred The Fountainhead.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are two books I enjoyed and like AJane, prefer The Fountainhead.

+ Reply to Thread