+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am interested in books with a time travel theme lately. Right now I am in the middle of A Bridge of Years by Robert Wilson. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ridge_of_Years

cablejockey - if you haven't already, check out Jack Finney's Time and Again. One of the best of the time travel genre. I also really enjoyed Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier. Both excellent and quite different. Although it's not really time travel as much as it is about immortality, Pete Hamill's Forever is one of my favorites.

I've been bouncing around reading multiple things at once. For some reason, I can't seem to settle down. Right now, I'm reading Leila Meacham's Somerset. Sort of light historical fiction/family saga set in the south and then in Texas funny to separate those, but it's set in the late 19th century. I'm also reading The Secret Lives of the Tsars by Michael Farquhar. Non-fiction about the Russian royals. Lots of fratricide, patricide, dismembering, poisonings, sex, etc. Juicy stuff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for those suggestions. I have read Forever and enjoyed it, the other titles I will check out.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I just finished "The Keepsake" by Tess Gerritsen on audiobook. It wasn't until I got home and looked it up that I realized that the characters in this book are those on whom the "Rizzoli and Isles" TV show are based. And Angie Harmon plays Rizzoli . . . and she also played Lindsay Boxer in the Women's Murder Club shows.

Sounds like some serious inbreeding to me.

It was a pretty good story . . . I listened to it while doing our daily walks. It was a nice distraction.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

As soon as I finish the Divergent series (currently toward the end of book 2) I'll dive into The Hobbit.

Thanks, Critical for the nudge.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Oh dear. Now if you don't like the book, I'm going to feel terrible!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'll more than like it, I'm sure. I love the movies, so that bodes well. Besides I didn't have to pay real money for it on Kindle since I have that credit in effect.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have to say, the book is a sweeter, quieter, less action-y story than Peter Jackson has given us. The book was written for Tolkien's young son, so it really is more of a children's book. It was the first "grown-up" book my mother ever read to me. I was 7 and I LOOOOOVED it. I've read it more times than any other book - probably several dozen times at this point.

When I was 7, I was reading the Bobbsey Twins. But, then, I didn't learn to read until I was almost 7 and had my first grade teacher wringing her hands. Turns out she wrote letters on the black board and I couldn't see that far. What pushed into actual reading were comic books. I could follow the action with the pictures, but I wanted to know what they were saying in the blurbs. For some reason, that was my kick-start and I read everything I could get my hands on, including Mom's Book of the Month Club books. I got in trouble in high school for bringing one of those to read during study hall.

I was twelve when I started reading Jane Eyre. I never finished because I read while I had to drink a vile powdered diet beverage and forever after associated that with the gloomy mists. Oh, and don't get me started on a depressed teen reading Sinclair Lewis. Memories.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, the second of a trilogy. Vampires, witches, demons, time traveling craziness...as with the first book, it took me about 100 pages to get into it. I enjoyed the trip back to Elizabethan England, but the plot got a bit muddy with the addition of so many new characters (it also clocks in at almost 600 pages). I hope the last book is a bit clearer.
    It was easier listening to it then reading. I tend not to get too hung up on all the characters that way.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread