+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Christine Feehan one of the grand dames of the vampire novel. Just finished listening to Dark Lycan and Dark Wolf, book 1 and 2 with book 3 Dark Blood to be published in September 2014. These books are a bit of trilogy within her Carpathian series. Feehan is very good at doing intense one on one characters in her books but she can also do a much broader stroked book. You meet many of the characters from the previous 23 novels and you get to see what happened to a lot of couples, you meet their children and see the set up for the next generation. There is an underlying story arc about a hidden and not so hidden enemy that has been trying to destroy the Carpathian race since the beginning of the series, you also meet the Lycan race. Ms. Feehan is unusual as we are only now meeting the werewolves her first race besides the "vampires" were the Jaguar People.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 03-20-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Lynn Viehl has a new steampunk series out that is very good. Book 1 is Disenchanted and Co and Book 2 is Clockwork Wolf. The setting in the United States that lost the War of Independence and Queen Victoria rules. There is also a bit of a twist and there are lots of inventions but they work based on steam and of course another twist is that magic exists in this world. The thing is that Charmian Kittredge doesn't believe in magic as it doesn't work around her. In fact people hire "Kit" to break curses and while she doesn't believe in magic and thinks folks are just superstitious; but a girl has to put a roof over her head and food on the table.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, the second of a trilogy. Vampires, witches, demons, time traveling craziness...as with the first book, it took me about 100 pages to get into it. I enjoyed the trip back to Elizabethan England, but the plot got a bit muddy with the addition of so many new characters (it also clocks in at almost 600 pages). I hope the last book is a bit clearer.
    WrigleyDogA2 likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Just finished The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. It follows the lives of six teens who meet at a summer arts camp in the mid '70's, into adulthood (up to the 2010's). One of the teens is accused of raping one of the others, and the event ends up deeply affecting the lives of all six throughout the years. A little long, but nicely written - some of the better passages reminded me of Carol Shields' writing, particularly The Stone Diaries.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, the second of a trilogy. Vampires, witches, demons, time traveling craziness...as with the first book, it took me about 100 pages to get into it. I enjoyed the trip back to Elizabethan England, but the plot got a bit muddy with the addition of so many new characters (it also clocks in at almost 600 pages). I hope the last book is a bit clearer.
    I really enjoyed the first two books (the first a bit more, to be honest). The third book is slated to come out later this year. I'm actually kicking myself for reading it before the third book came out. I'm already hanging with the Song of Fire and Ice series (and God knows when that next book will come out), so now I really try to only read books where the entire series is out!

Speaking of that, I think I mentioned before I have been on a YA kick. Some that I have read have been better than others, but if you are into that and haven't already read it, I do have to recommend the Matched trilogy (second book is Crossed and third is Reached). It is a dystopian society type book - think Hunger Games - in that it is the US of the future. The country is run by The Society and they control everything - right down to what everyone eats. The point is to maximize the health and well being of society. So the plot is that The Society also tells you on your 17th birthday who your perfect match will be to marry - to maximize your happiness and your chances of having healthy, strong children. So a woman is matched with her best friend, but when she actually views her card, two men show up - her best friend and another man that she knows. The story then follows what happens and ultimately who she chooses. There is obviously much more to it than that, but this gives you a snippet, FWIW.

I went back to Round House and am almost done. I've liked every other book of hers I've read, but this one is just too sad for me.
    Count your blessings!

I just finished The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro for my book club. It's about a young artist who paints reproductions of known works for a living, while also trying to establish herself as an artists in her own right. Then a gallery owner brings a painting to her to copy. She problem? It's a stolen Degas from the Gardner in Boston....or is it? Fun stuff about art history AND about techniques used by forgers.

This book also marks a first for me. I got an e-galley of it before it was released. Then, forgetting I had that, I bought the paperback one day at CostCo. THEN, when I ordered all of the books for the group, I forgot about the TWO copies I owned and bought a hardcover for myself! So yeah, THREE different formats of the same book. I think I covered all of my bases there!
    inthegarden likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I felt the exact same way about both of those books - especially the second.
    waywyrd likes this.

I'm reading 2 books with a definite Downton Abbey vibe to them. The House At Riverton by Kate Morto; The House at Riverton by Kate Morton and The Ashford Affair by Laura Willig; The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I also finished I Will be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe, historical fiction about a young wife so in love with her husband and so unwilling to be parted from him that when he enlisted in the army during the Civil War, she disguised herself as a man and enlisted too. Apparently, hundreds of women fought in the Civil War as men and this is based on several of those stories. Quite poignant and sad, of course, but very good.
    I picked this for our book club before I saw you posted this Critical! I found it because the ladies asked if we could do a book on historical fiction and I searched GoodReads and it popped up and sounded so interesting to me. I'm enjoying it so far!

+ Reply to Thread