+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am in the middle of Crime Of Privilege by Walter Walker, a crime novel. So far, so good!
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-of-privilege

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll be interested to hear what you think of the John Irving when you finish. Owen Meaney is one of my favorite books and Irving is one of my favorite writers. I just haven't gotten around to that one yet.
    I liked it. DIdn't love it, but gave it a solid like. It seemed to me to be a cross between Owen and Garp. A boy with a mystery dad who is a wrestler in New England. Lives with his grandparents and mother. Mom remarries a person who becomes a father figure to the boy... (that's the owen similarity) then, as he grows up, struggles with his sexuality... that's the Garp similarity.

Recently, I've read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote which I LOVED. I couldn't put it down and as I read I realized that this crime was so vicious that if it had happened today, it'd still be headline news.

I also read the The Road and I hated it. I was finished with the book before I figured out the plot or the point of it... That was my biggest problem. I couldn't see the point in the book. I kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't.

I read The Traitors Wife, about the wife of Benedict Arnold which was a good read. If half of what was written was true then, wow, that woman was a piece of work.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-17-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Am now reading a new book by one of my favorite authors--Johanthan Kellerman. This one, 'Killer;, is the same good quality story as previous his ones
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17910538-killer

Darn you, cablejockey, for pointing out a new Kellerman that is receiving better reviews than the last few. I bought it for Kindle along with a "companion" book, which was free.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs - the next installment in the Mercy Thompson series. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and the series I just wish the author could write faster.

Also read the first two books in Gail Garringer's Finishing School series.

Book 1: Etiquette & Espionage
    Book 2: Curtsies & Conspiracies

This is a YA - young adult series set in late Victorian England but in a SteamPunk Universe. What I really liked about this series is that it is not the typical endless yearning of young forbidden love between kids that goes on and on and nothing happens ie: Twilight. The main character is 14 yr old Sophronia Temminnick is too much for her mother to handle and is sent to Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. First of all the school is located in a flying airship and the young ladies are learning to be spies.

Finishing School

At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but the also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways,
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Also finished listening to Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg O'Hare and Fox series Book 1: The Heist and Book 2: The Chase.

What I like about Janet Evanovich and her writing are her wacky characters and plots. I laugh right out loud at times and laughter is the best medicine. While Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books (now at number 20) are starting to get stale and repetitive I like her earlier books that have been reissued. Her Barnaby and Hooker series was good (included Metro Girl and Motor Mouth). I also like her Wicked series (Wicked Appetite and Wicked Business ) which feature a secondary character (Diesel) from her Stephanie Plum books:

Evanovich seems to do really well when she teams up with another author such as Lee Goldberg. Kate O'Hare is the exact opposite of Stephanie Plum being an ex Naval Special Operative, and currently an FBI agent. Kate's straight arrow attitude gets bounced around alot dealing with super conman Nick Fox. Book 2 takes a real swipe at mercenary groups such as Black Rhine cough cough Black Water and how politicians lie, cheat and rob the public blind.

Anyone else think that JD Robb (ala Nora Roberts) Lt. Eve Dallas series has hit bottom with Thankless in Death. I have heard rumours that she has ghost writers ala James Patterson. The plot and characters seem to be regurgitating the same verbiage and attitudes. While I love Eve, Roake and Peabody the books are getting boring. There are 36 books in the series with the first one published in 1995, wow 19 yrs and I think in the books the couple has only been married like 2 years. That is ridiculous.

I am really hating Thankless in Death and only got about a third of the way through. I don't know if I will finish.

I've read a few good ones since I last posted, including Effie by Suzanne Fagence Cooper, about Effie Gray, a woman who was married to renowned art critic John Ruskin and then to Pre-Raphaelite painter John Everett Millais. Really god stuff. Lots about art and marriage and social mores of the Victorian age. I pretty much loved it.

I also finished I Will be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe, historical fiction about a young wife so in love with her husband and so unwilling to be parted from him that when he enlisted in the army during the Civil War, she disguised herself as a man and enlisted too. Apparently, hundreds of women fought in the Civil War as men and this is based on several of those stories. Quite poignant and sad, of course, but very good.

Now I'm reading Japantown by Barry Lancet, a sort of mystery/thriller set in contemporary San Francisco. The lead character owns both a detective agency in Japan and an antique store in SF specializing in Asian art and artifacts. I've also got books to read for both of my book clubs, so this one is going to take a while to read.

One book club is reading The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro, so I just started it last night:
    Almost twenty-five years after the infamous art heist at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum—still the largest unsolved art theft in history—one of the stolen Degas paintings is delivered to the Boston studio of a young artist. Claire Roth has entered into a Faustian bargain with a powerful gallery owner by agreeing to forge the Degas in exchange for a one-woman show in his renowned gallery. But as she begins her work, she starts to suspect that this long-missing masterpiece—the very one that had been hanging at the Gardner for one hundred years—may itself be a forgery. The Art Forger is a thrilling novel about seeing—and not seeing—the secrets that lie beneath the canvas.
    My other book club is doing Don Quixote in three weeks. I need to get started on that one soon since it's over 900 pages. Yikes!
    PGM35 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Watch the movie.
    I'm going to download Effie. That sounds like one I would like.
    I recently finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, which I really liked and then started The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I'm an Erdrich fan, but this one started with a traumatic event and I have enough negative events in my life at the moment. I'll pick it up again when I'm in a better place.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Watch the movie.
    I'm going to download Effie. That sounds like one I would like.
    I recently finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, which I really liked and then started The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I'm an Erdrich fan, but this one started with a traumatic event and I have enough negative events in my life at the moment. I'll pick it up again when I'm in a better place.
    Tempting, but I really do want to read the book. It's been on my list for a while. I'm just relieved it's not the 3 volume edition! I looked everywhere for the specific translation my book club chose and finally broke down and ordered it through Amazon. I should be able to get it done. I downloaded the sample from Amazon so I could get a jump on it before it arrives in Friday. I'm sort of annoyed that a) the "sample" starts 25%-ish in AND that b) another at least 20% is just intro and notes. I'm only going to get a few actual pages of the book Kind of lame.

I really liked Effie and so did the rest of my book club. I hope you do too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread