+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

As disturbing as Room was, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought Donoghue's decision to tell the story through Jack's eyes was brilliant. Told through his mother's eyes, it would have been a horror story.
    waywyrd and elk like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm currently trying Ravelling by Peter Moore Smith.

So far, about 70 pages in, it's like pulling teeth with puppies.

Grand reviews outside and in; I'm still waiting to become smitten.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Almost done with Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch, the second book in the series. Love it! I'm not usually a series fan but I'm totally hooked. I think they're making a TV series out of these books next year, hopefully they won't stink it up.
    I just finished Pines. Our library is hopeless, it takes forever to get certain new releases. I am itching to read the second book - I guess I better go buy it before the TV series starts! I hope they don't mess it up as well - I am still very disappointed with the Under the Dome series.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I just finished This is Where I Leave You. I really enjoyed it. It was a great combination of humor, drama, and just enough observations about life that you read and thought "yes!". My book club chose it from one of those "read before the movie comes out" lists, so I had teh benefit of knowing how they will cast the book and read it in those voices. With that help I have to say the movie will be perfectly cast! I just started reading Room too, but I'm only about 20 pages in so far.
    elk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    I'm currently trying Ravelling by Peter Moore Smith.

So far, about 70 pages in, it's like pulling teeth with puppies.

Grand reviews outside and in; I'm still waiting to become smitten.
    Close to smitten, or at least committed till the end now, another 50 pages in.

Utterly strange way of putting a story across, IMO.

I ended up more than liking Ravelling, but its a book where a once over won't suffice.

I did up eventually getting caught up with the tale, but I had to work it to get there, especially early on.

Whole lot of shifting narrative modes in play, quite often I didn't know who was supposedly relating as I was reading.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Just finished reading Linda Ronstadt's memoir, Simple Dreams. Good thing b/c it's due back at the library tomorrow. It wasn't what I expected as it was a bit more technical than I would have liked, but I enjoyed it.
    Leftcoaster likes this.

FORT Fogey

I finished Room yesterday. Wow! When I got down to the last 100 pages, I found myself looking for things my husband could do with our kids so they'd all leave me alone and I could read. What an incredible book!
    waywyrd and Jamie5632 like this.

I just finished Dancing Through it by Jenifer Ringer. It's an autobiography of a principal dancer in the New York City Ballet. It's a fascinating story about her life as a professional ballet dancer. She started her professional career at the age of 16, the same year she graduated from high school. Not only does the book give insight into the lives of ballet dancers, but also into her struggle with an eating disorder. The book takes you from when she was a little girl dancing in her bedroom, up to the present time where she is married and the mother of two children and very newly retired from ballet. The book flap says she retired in 2014.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I'm well into The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (Secret Life of Bees, Mermaid Chair). Has anyone else read this? I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Alternating narratives by a southern girl and the slave given to her on her 12th birthday.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread