+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I hope you love it as much as I did, Punkin! My book club read it about three years ago and it's still a favorite title.

I'm going to see the movie, but there's no way it will be even be close to as good as the book.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed and Legend by Marie Lu. Legend is a YA dystopian novel that I am reviewing for a book list we are creating for a reading program. I am listening to it so will probably finish the last three hours tonight as I am so caught up in it that I can hardly think about anything else...I am not sure if it fits in the age group I am reviewing it for, but will enjoy the rest of it I am sure. From her website:

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
    And what can I say about Wild? Anyone read it? I know someone who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail last year and so understand how grueling it can be. I am enjoying her storytelling style. I got to see Cheryl speak last year at an event where she won an award for that book.
    Last edited by Cootie; 02-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.

I really didn't like Wild at all when I read awhile ago. When I read the through hike books I like reading about the actual hike. I found personality problematic for me and how she justified some really poor choices not that great either. In the beginning I wanted to like her and I thought it was going to be a book on evolution of the person and what it turned out to be for me was one long pity party with zero self awareness with no resolution and no growth.

I think it's one of those books either you love or you hate. I've had friends who absolutely loved it and others who were like me and hated it and it think it depended heavily on how much one wanted to like her as a person. I wasn't that invested in liking her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    And what can I say about Wild? Anyone read it? I know someone who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail last year and so understand how grueling it can be. I am enjoying her storytelling style. I got to see Cheryl speak last year at an event where she won an award for that book.
    I loved Wild - it really resonated with me, though, because Strayed is around my age and coincidentally, her first marriage broke up at the same point in her life that mine did. I didn't do anything as cool as hiking the PCT alone, but I could relate to so much of her story. Don't know if you've heard but they are currently filming a movie based on the book, with Reese Witherspoon playing Strayed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

If some of you didn't like Cheryl, I think you were not alone, she didn't like herself a whole lot. That was the point of her self imposed challenge. And she experienced an incredible amount of self realization and growth while on that journey. The audiobook was well done and it kept me focused on her story and rooting for her. She surely made a lot of dumb mistakes, but she was a survivor! Yes, I know about the movie and look forward to it!

The problem is that I would have liked her more if she actually appeared to grow on the journey. For me I didn't see a lick of growth but rather some bizarre glorification of her sleeping around and getting high and complaining while she hiked parts of the trail. I've read a lot of through hike books. Some documents the hikes and some document growth and her's really documented neither for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's easy to self-publish, I guess, but really hard to move from that to "legitimate" publishing. I always admired Vince Flynn because he ignored all the people who warned him against self-publishing. He did it anyway and eventually made it to the NY Times Bestseller List.
    Really? That's nice to hear even though I more than don't care for Flynn. Too formulaic for me, and I'm someone who tends to gravitate toward that for the book that you'll always find in my pocket for accessibly readable comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm going to see the movie, but there's no way it will be even be close to as good as the book.
    Realistically, how often can a movie ever equal, let alone be better than the content one finds in the book?

Different mediums, one can allow for the visionistic artistry of the director and editors in a flick, but money and time won't allow a movie to offer up what a book does. Mainly. Allow for the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    Really? That's nice to hear even though I more than don't care for Flynn. Too formulaic for me, and I'm someone who tends to gravitate toward that for the book that you'll always find in my pocket for accessibly readable comfort.
    I don't love his books, but they were diversionary. I've read 3 or 4 of them. I like thrillers and mysteries as a way to "cleanse my palate" so to speak. If I've read a string of more demanding books, I like a mystery/thriller for a change of pace. I liken them to chewing gum; I'm probably not really getting any nutrition, but I'm working the muscle. Anyway, I really admire Vince Flynn and was sad when he died. He was far too young.

I can count on one hand the number of movies that were better than the book. Jaws and The Bridges of Madison County both come to mind. In both cases, the filmmakers were more talented than the authors.

I'm still reading Vermeer's Hat, although my book club has already met. I've just been so busy with work stuff that I haven't had time to read. Plus, this is a dense book. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying it, but it isn't a quick OR easy read.

Speaking of easy reads, my other book club chose Don Quixote I'm excited because it's been on my "must-read" list for many years. Luckily, we chose the edition that's only 900 pages. It could have been a lot worse. I saw a huge 3 volume set at a used bookstore in Berkeley a few weeks ago. I just about had a heart attack. I think 900 pages is a nice compromise between the incredibly brief 350 page edition I also saw in Berkeley and a 3 volume behemoth.

I'm also reading Archetype by M.D. Waters. It's very hard to explain, so here's a little blurb:
    Emma wakes in a hospital, with no memory of what came before. Her husband, Declan, a powerful, seductive man, provides her with new memories, but her dreams contradict his stories, showing her a past life she can’t believe possible: memories of war, of a camp where girls are trained to be wives, of love for another man. Something inside her tells her not to speak of this, but she does not know why. She only knows she is at war with herself.

Suppressing those dreams during daylight hours, Emma lets Declan mold her into a happily married woman and begins to fall in love with him. But the day Noah stands before her, the line between her reality and dreams shatters.

In a future where women are a rare commodity, Emma fights for freedom but is held captive by the love of two men—one her husband, the other her worst enemy. If only she could remember which is which.
    Apparently, it's a two-parter, which bums me out. I'm sure that means this one ends with a big cliffhanger. I'm going to read it anyway since I've heard really good things.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Room by Emma Donoghue. It's both disturbing and engrossing...and sadly, a little too real, given events in the news the last few years.
    elk likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread