+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I started reading The Rosie Project in the oncology mammogram waiting room today. I thought from your description, that it sounded like Steve Martin's, The Pleasure of my Company. It is almost identical in tone and format. Since I loved Martin's book, I'm enjoying this one, but it feels like plagiarism.
    Count your blessings!

Huh, I'd never heard of the Steve Martin book. I guess there aren't any new ideas!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If I had to put the two side-by-side, The Pleasure of my Company would win hands down. But I enjoyed this one, too. It badly needed editing for length, though. Also, I figured out the "surprise" ending very early in the book, so that always lets the air out of the balloon a little.
    Count your blessings!

Just started Sand by Hugh Howey. I can tell I'll be up late tonight, plowing through this one.
    elk likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    If I had to put the two side-by-side, The Pleasure of my Company would win hands down. But I enjoyed this one, too. It badly needed editing for length, though. Also, I figured out the "surprise" ending very early in the book, so that always lets the air out of the balloon a little.
    Ah well, sorry about that. You can't win 'em all, I guess. You must have jinxed me by saying I always recommend the best books!

I finished Americanah yesterday and it was wonderful. Great story and really thought-provoking, especially about race/racism and nationalism. I'm eager to hear what the rest of my book club thought. I REALLY hope it's not a bunch of white people sitting around talking about race and racism in America

I'm back to reading Tiffany Baker's Mercy Snow. I like her writing, but I'm really hoping I haven't already figured out what's going to happen. It kind of takes the fun out of it when I can already guess the ending when I'm barely a third of a way through the book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't hold you responsible! Keep 'em coming!
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

This one is a blast from the past. I caught a remake of Flowers in the Attic on Lifetime this past weekend. One of those "so bad it was actually kind of good" movies! Anyway, it got me remembering those books. At least at my high school, those V.C. Andrews books were the Twilight of my generation. After seeing the movie, I'm seriously thinking about going out and looking for those books! I remember the series being seriously disturbing, but yet also engrossing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    This one is a blast from the past. I caught a remake of Flowers in the Attic on Lifetime this past weekend. One of those "so bad it was actually kind of good" movies! Anyway, it got me remembering those books. At least at my high school, those V.C. Andrews books were the Twilight of my generation. After seeing the movie, I'm seriously thinking about going out and looking for those books! I remember the series being seriously disturbing, but yet also engrossing at the same time.
    Good idea. I also caught the movie
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I saw the movie remake as well. I remember being angry at the original for changing the ending of the book, so I liked that part of the remake, but it did feel very rushed. I just finished reading Dark Places- also very disturbing, albeit in a completely different way.

I just bought a kindle copy of Monuments Men..... for my iPad to read before we go to the movie on Friday. I've heard the book is very good. I'll let you know.

+ Reply to Thread