+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I just purchased LM Fields, Crows Hill for my Kindle. LM Fields is in my online writing class that is starting this week. This should be interesting.

She is an Indie publisher (self-published) and this Kindle is listed at $.99. Another member of the class is from the UK and she has set up an Indie publishing company for Kindle and others. I do have an ouchie, though, in that I said in one that I wanted to learn how to self publish in one thread because I thought I could write as well as some of the $.99 books there. This was before I saw that LM Fields books are selling for $.99. Hopefully, she'll forgive me.

Oh, and her editor is the mentor for this class. It is in the F2K section of Writers' Village University and a great set of lessons to get you creative juices flowing.
    I'm sure many people have said the same! Years ago, a friend of the family found out that someone she knows makes a ton of money writing romance novels. Apparently, the woman made a statement like "anyone could write that drivel," so one of her kids (I think) challenged her to write one. She became so successful that her husband was able to quit his job. I wish I could remember her pen name. It wasn't anyone we'd heard of, but then there are a lot of romance writers making a lot of money, but not getting a lot of mainstream attention.

I actually downloaded a book a while back about how to make money publishing e-books. Apparently, you can make A LOT of money selling books for 99Ę! Believe me, I've considered it!

It's easy to self-publish, I guess, but really hard to move from that to "legitimate" publishing. I always admired Vince Flynn because he ignored all the people who warned him against self-publishing. He did it anyway and eventually made it to the NY Times Bestseller List.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have about 30% left in the last book of the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series. I've been reading this series since the day after the end of Season 3, so June 10th. I know I'm going to go into major withdrawal as I've been so immersed for seven months. I also now know exactly how much I do read, as my books to read list has grown incredibly while I'm 'ignoring' everything! What a difference from reading two or so books a month; I feel so far behind!
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    I have about 30% left in the last book of the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series. I've been reading this series since the day after the end of Season 3, so June 10th. I know I'm going to go into major withdrawal as I've been so immersed for seven months. I also now know exactly how much I do read, as my books to read list has grown incredibly while I'm 'ignoring' everything! What a difference from reading two or so books a month; I feel so far behind!
    I read the series twice in a year! I did read other books too, but when I looked back at my year, yeah, I pretty much spend the bulk of it reading 5 books. Totally WONDERFUL books, but still. I started the series again back before season 3, thinking (foolishly now, I realize) that I could get through book 3 before the season started, but only reading it in the bathroom. I'm still on book 2. This is my 4th time through the series and I'm still finding new details. Still, I'm ready for book 6!

I blew through a few quick ones over the past few days. First was The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell. Almost a short story - like 160 pages - about a tragedy in a small town and how it reverberates in the lives of the people who live there. A bit of a mystery because you don't know exactly what happened until the very end.

I just finished The Kept by James Scott. Sort of a cross between The Road and maybe True Grit. It starts out with a woman returning home to find her entire family murdered, with the exception of her 12 year old son (this isn't a big spoiler - it's on the back cover). They set out on a quest to kill the murderers, but it then turns into much more than a revenge story.

I needed to read something a little less serious, so I just picked up Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Project. The publishing rep who gave it to me absolutely raved about it. Said that NO ONE she's talked to who'd read it didn't love it.
    MEET DON TILLMAN, a brilliant yet socially challenged professor of genetics, whoís decided itís time he found a wife. And so, in the orderly, evidence-based manner with which Don approaches all things, he designs the Wife Project to find his perfect partner: a sixteen-page, scientifically valid survey to filter out the drinkers, the smokers, the late arrivers.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She also is strangely beguiling, fiery, and intelligent. And while Don quickly disqualifies her as a candidate for the Wife Project, as a DNA expert Don is particularly suited to help Rosie on her own quest: identifying her biological father. When an unlikely relationship develops as they collaborate on the Father Project, Don is forced to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosieóand the realization that, despite your best scientific efforts, you donít find love, it finds you.

Arrestingly endearing and entirely unconventional, Graeme Simsionís distinctive debut will resonate with anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of great challenges. The Rosie Project is a rare find: a book that restores our optimism in the power of human connection.
    I happened to look on Amazon to see reviews and the Kindle version is only $1.99 right now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

This may be the book to get me out of fantasy mode. Thanks for the heads up - I ordered it for my Kindle.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I've had the first book of the Song of Ice and Fire series downloaded for a while, but I keep skipping over that monster while reading other things. I wanted to get through it before the TV series started back, but I don't see that happening. Critical, you need to tell me how you speed read all those books!

Currently almost done with 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Quite good, as is everything else I've read by him.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I've had the first book of the Song of Ice and Fire series downloaded for a while, but I keep skipping over that monster while reading other things. I wanted to get through it before the TV series started back, but I don't see that happening. Critical, you need to tell me how you speed read all those books!

Currently almost done with 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Quite good, as is everything else I've read by him.
    What can I say? I'm obsessive Book 1 is rather slow because you're getting the whole story set up and figuring everything out. That took maybe a week. I think I read book 2 in a weekend and book 3 in maybe 5 days. Book 4 was a bit slower. Once I got going with book 1, I couldn't stop reading! It was horrible to have to wait for book 5. Once it finally came out, I read it in a 3-day marathon.

I finished The Rosie Project last night/early this morning. One of the quotes on the back of the book warned that you will stay up all night to finish. Yep, pretty much. I was up until 3 am. I loved it. It's not going to win a Pulitzer, but I thought it was completely charming. I've read some pretty serious and not terribly uplifting books lately. This was a lovely change of pace.

Now I'm reading Ham: Slices of Life a collection of essays and stories by Sam Harris. Yes, Sam Harris from Star Search fame. They're fairly hilarious stories about his life growing up in the Bible belt and his experiences in show business and beyond. The chapter about Liza Minnelli's freak show of a wedding had me in stitches. Good stuff!

I spent the day in San Francisco and Berkeley today and a good portion of the afternoon was spent in Moe's and Shakespeare and Co. on Telegraph. SO many books that I already own, but haven't read yet. There's not enough time!
    waywyrd likes this.

I finally finished Cutting for Stone - loved it... somehow the perspective changes slowed me down, which doesn't usually happen, but it all comes together eventually. Read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan before that. Loved it, on a roll. Was about to start Songs of Willow Frost, but am going to indulge in The Rosie Project first.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I finally finished Cutting for Stone - loved it... somehow the perspective changes slowed me down, which doesn't usually happen, but it all comes together eventually. Read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan before that. Loved it, on a roll. Was about to start Songs of Willow Frost, but am going to indulge in The Rosie Project first.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I loved Songs of Willow Frost and I think you will too. It was lovely.

I finished Ham last night. If you like memoirs, I recommend it. Funny, touching, with some fun name-dropping too. I laughed, I cried, you know the drill. I really enjoyed it. I remember watching Sam Harris all those years ago on Star Search, But I admit I didn't know much about what happened to him after that show was over.

I just started Tiffany Baker's Mercy Snow about a tragic bus crash and the cover-up about what really happened. Baker's Little Giant of Aberdeen County was pretty terrific, so I'm looking forward to this one.

I also read a sample of the first few chapters of Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on my Kindle. I joined a new book club and this is the first selection. I have a copy on the way, but it's taking too long and the book club meets this coming Sunday. I figured I'd get a jump on it. I wish the sample was longer, but I just can't bring myself to buy it when there's a copy coming to me already. I liked what I read, so I'm eager to really dive in.

ETA: My copy of Americanah just arrived today from Random House! Think I might actually finish it before the book club meeting.
    In the box with it was a copy of Jo Baker's Longbourn, which I also really want to read....WHY isn't there more time!?
    Last edited by Critical; 01-21-2014 at 06:47 PM.

I just read two that I reckon most here haven't.

Not pointing individually, but to purists in general, literature provides insight into characterization and the human condition, so does low brow fare such as :

Elmore Leonard's: The Hot Kid

and

John Verdon's: Think Of A Number

Anyone who needs an introduction to Leonard needs to set aside more time to reading more. Verdon was a find. A little more sorrily personally complicated as a character than the story called for.

FORT Fogey

My book club chose This is Where I Leave You, and I started it today. Someone suggested it becuse it was on one of those "books to read before they are movies" lists, and we all liked the cast. It may be because I had in mind who would be in it when I started reading, but I have to say that so far, the people have fit perfectly. When I read the narration of the character Jason Bateman is playing, it truly sounds like he'd be saying what is written. I'm thirty pages in and I'm loving it so far! Has anyone else read it?

+ Reply to Thread