+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay22 View Post
    I've just started In One Person by John Irving and I'm enjoying that very much. Set in the 1960s in New England, you follow a teenage boy through school and his dream to be a writer. It seems to follow a very very very similar storyline to A Prayer for Owen Meany so I'll be interested to see how it deviates from that story since the first 60 pages are very similar. This e-book has been on sale for $1.99 at Barnes and Noble for the past week or so.
    I thought it was more like Garp, but nowhere near as good. This book was a big disappointment to me, because I'm a fan of Irving - I actually buy his books rather than wait for library copies.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm at 80% in Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vhergese. I was enjoying it and suddenly it jumped to the father's childhood and derailed my engagement. I'll still finish it, but I was flowing quickly with it up until then.
    Count your blessings!

Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch: M. Night Shyamalan is making it into a miniseries. It will air on Fox in 10 episodes. Matt Dillon, Juliette Lewis, Melissa Leo, and Terrence Howard are part of the cast.
    waywyrd likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I finally read Gone, Girl. I cannot get it out of my head! I know the reviews are mixed about parts of it, but I was thoroughly mesmerized! Literally could not put it down until I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    With a recommendation from my grocery delivery man, I've started Mortal Instruments (City of Bones) which is the first of that series. I'm enjoying picking my way into the different worlds laid out in plain sight (well, invisible sight) as the girl begins her journey into the bizarre. The delivery man compared it to the Harry Potter series; I'm not seeing any parallels other than the protagonist has been undiscovered until early pubescence. The one character I really, really liked was the mother and she is already gone. In a few pages the author painted this woman's existence to the point you could sit and have coffee with her. Anyway, I'm really at the start and will keep chugging along.
    Arielflies - I hope you enjoy it. I liked the second and third book in the trilogy much better. Also, if you end up liking it, I highly recommend The Infernal Devices trilogy - which is by the same author and follows Shadowhunters in the 1870's. I loved The Mortal Instruments, but after I read the Infernal Devices, I thought the love story was better in the latter. And yeah, I don't get the Harry Potter reference. The closest I could compare it to is Twilight because of the supernatural aspect, but I thought Clary was much stronger than Bella!

I'm still reading The Orphanmaster on my Kindle. Still enjoying it. Interesting mix of history and mystery.

I FINALLY finished The Goldfinch. I started reading it, in what? October? It took so long because a) it's nearly 800 pages long, b) it's a paperback (I got an advance copy), so too heavy to read in bed and c) I kind of didn't want to finish it. I was enjoying being in that world and wanted to stay there for a while. I would only read a bit a day. I finally got to the point where I wanted to finish and couldn't stop reading. Really satisfying. I wouldn't quite put it up there with The Secret History, but it was pretty darned good.

Now I'm reading Elisabeth de Waal's The Exiles Return about several exiles returning (duh) to Vienna after the way. I loved The Hare With Amber Eyes by de Waal's grandson (who wrote the foreword to this book). I'm only about 50 pages in, but it's so evocative and is hinting at heartbreak and loss and longing.

I have so many books that I want to read. I've vowed to get through at least one per week, although I'd prefer to get through two.....or three or four
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    I finally read Gone, Girl. I cannot get it out of my head! I know the reviews are mixed about parts of it, but I was thoroughly mesmerized! Literally could not put it down until I finished.
    That's how I was. I never slept.Now there is going to be a movie
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Wally Lamb's We Are Water. Honestly, I don't know why I keep picking up his new stuff, I find his work terribly depressing. The Hour I First Believed nearly ruined me. Yet here I am again. This one focuses on a middle-aged woman about to wed her same-sex partner, and it's alternately narrated by her, her ex-husband, and their children. The subject interested me more than the author's cred. So far not bad.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've got that one on the pile, AJane. I'm looking forward to reading it. I agree that his subject matter is sometimes depressing, but I think he's such a great writer. I got to meet him last fall when he was promoting We Are Water and he was such a nice man. It made me like his books even more.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I just purchased LM Fields, Crows Hill for my Kindle. LM Fields is in my online writing class that is starting this week. This should be interesting.

She is an Indie publisher (self-published) and this Kindle is listed at $.99. Another member of the class is from the UK and she has set up an Indie publishing company for Kindle and others. I do have an ouchie, though, in that I said in one that I wanted to learn how to self publish in one thread because I thought I could write as well as some of the $.99 books there. This was before I saw that LM Fields books are selling for $.99. Hopefully, she'll forgive me.

Oh, and her editor is the mentor for this class. It is in the F2K section of Writers' Village University and a great set of lessons to get you creative juices flowing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread