+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham, a sequel to A Time to Kill. I find it very interesting and well-paced, though I've read several reviews to the contrary.
    Thanks! I haven't read Grisham for a while but it sounds like a good book to put on the tablet I'm getting DH for Christmas. I have to figure out how to tie our accounts together so I can get Amazon books set to both tablets.
    waywyrd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi View Post
    Hey all!

Tell me what you're reading! I'm just curious. Maybe I'll pick up a few good books in time.

I'm reading *deep breath*:
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Blue Heron - Avi
    Gone-Away Lake - Elizabeth Enright
    Anne of Green Gables - Montgomery
    Charming Billy - Alice McDermott
    To My Daughter With Love - Susan Polis Schutz
    hugs for Friends
    The Best Loved Poems of the American People
    One Hundred and One Famous Poems
    A Separate Peace - John Knowles
    My Antonia - Willa Cather
    Streams of Silver - R.A. Salvatore
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathanial Hawthorne
    Lord Brocktree - Brian Jacques

I know... I have way too much free time to do nothing and read. Guess that's what I get for living in a town without year-round schooling.
    You've got too much time on your hands.

You need to read more.

Because you mentioned poetry, you reminded me of a program I heard the other morning featuring Billy Collins.

Generally I've got a hate on for poets that verbalize their crap in public, but the little I heard this guy speak, not just his poems, but in general, the more I wanted to hear.

Very very humorous in his delivery speaking in general, and his poetry? Something new and appreciated by the likes of me.

I have just started reading Innocence by Dean Koontz. I know I am going to love reading this! Innocence « Dean Koontz
    Punkin likes this.

Thanks for the link. I just bought it for my Kindle. One of the first books I read on Kindle was Odd Thomas. The evil in his books can be a bit much so I haven't read all of them, but with some I connect and this one has that potential.
    cablejockey likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The Book of Negroes. Historical fiction set during the slave trade in the mid-1700's and ending in the early 1800's. It is a fictional narrative of an African woman enslaved at the age of 11, but includes many real-life historical figures and occurences, like the re-settling of former slaves from Nova Scotia to Sierra Leone in 1792. Impossible not to love the heroine Meena, who is exceptionally intelligent and bears her gruesome experiences with dignity and emerges with mind and soul intact. Definitely a recommend - and FWIW, it was compelling enough for me to do some extra reading on this period in history.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Someone recommended it to my daughter an she requested it on the Kindle. Wow. I started it mid afternoon and stayed up until 1 a.m. to finish it.
    Count your blessings!

I have been reading The Infernal Devices series. I finished Clockwork Angel and am halfway through Clockwork Prince. It is by the same writer who wrote the Mortal Instruments series. If you liked those books, you would like this series. I actually like it better than Mortal Instruments. It is Shadowhunters back in the 1870's, so it is overlaid with the culture of the time, which I think is romantic for some reason. And the love story in this series is much more poignant and tragic.

our next book club book is Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.

Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle—and people in general—has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.

To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence—creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world.

I recently finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I really enjoyed seeing where that little boy from the Shining ended up. StephenKing.com - Doctor Sleep

FORT Fogey

PGM, my book club did that book, and I loved it!!! It takes some slight adjustment to get used to the writing style because it bounces back and forth from correspondence and diary entry type writing to narrative. But I thought it was entertaining, made me laugh, and also had some depth and made you think. I don't know how your book club is, but mine is made up of a lot of moms who can treat the meetings as more of a social time than a real book discussion. When we met for that book, we discussed it so in depth that one member who had not read it but came anyways figuring it was social hour was surprised there was so much to discuss, and sorry she didn't read it. Hope you all enjoy it!
    PGM35 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread