+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm halfway through Things We Set On Fire by Deborah Reed. I'm having trouble liking any of the characters (these people are messed up) but am still enjoying the story.

From Goodreads:
    A series of tragedies brings Vivvie’s young grandchildren into her custody, and her two estranged daughters back under one roof. Jackson, Vivvie’s husband, was shot and killed 30 years ago, and the ramifications have splintered the family into their own isolated remembrances and recriminations.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    So I finished The Fault in Our Stars and I don't get what all the praise is about. I thought it was incredibly flat and pretentious. Has anyone else read it?
    I didn't but my daughter (age 14) did. She really liked it but said she can understand the "pretentious" criticism.
    I may try the movie, as it has an actor I love (Willem Dafoe) and a couple I like (Laura Dern, Sam Trammell).
    2boysmom likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I have a sale book "Bad Childhood Good Life" that I pick up and read lately when I am restless. Since I am a knitter, I do not read a lot outside of work.

It has been a little interesting. My pain hasn't come from the family units. Mine was more later in life. But I read the little stories in the book, wish better for people, and hope that I can keep myself out of the same little psychological traps.
    JavaJo likes this.
    You can do it!

So apparently I am on a YA kick! Well, that and I think I mentioned above that I am trying to read that list of the 10 books to read before the movie comes out. I read the first Mortal Instruments book, City of Bones. I really liked it and proceed to download all the rest of them - I have read the first 3 now. Apparently the first three are meant to be a trilogy and the second 3 another trilogy. I waited until I was done to see the movie. That review is another story for another thread. I liked the book.

Last night I finished Divergent - another one that was made into a movie. I really liked this one. I really enjoyed it and have downloaded the other two books to read next.
    Florimel likes this.

for our next book club we are reading: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

At the heart of The Husband’s Secret is a letter that’s not meant to be read

My darling Cecilia, if you’re reading this, then I’ve died. . .

Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .
    Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all—she’s an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia—or each other—but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband’s secret.

Acclaimed author Liane Moriarty has written a gripping, thought-provoking novel about how well it is really possible to know our spouses—and, ultimately, ourselves.
    Punkin and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Janet evanovich takedown twenty
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Janet evanovich takedown twenty
    I just finished the audio and loved it. My favorite was "Kevin"! I started out reading the series, but the woman who does the audio, Lorelei King, is amazing!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I just finished the audio and loved it. My favorite was "Kevin"! I started out reading the series, but the woman who does the audio, Lorelei King, is amazing!
    I need for her to make a decision on her men. I prefer for her to pick Ranger,lol but at this point she needs to choose to move the story along.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham, a sequel to A Time to Kill. I find it very interesting and well-paced, though I've read several reviews to the contrary.
    Punkin likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I need for her to make a decision on her men. I prefer for her to pick Ranger,lol but at this point she needs to choose to move the story along.
    I would so pick Ranger..... I think if she made a decision, the series would change. She has kind of chosen but its fun to watch her trying to live with the choice.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread