+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that's me! Or, maybe I'm just one of them. I LOVE Rutherfurd. I have Paris and have had for months and am embarrassed to say that I haven't read it yet. I think I'll pull it out for Christmas. My life is so hectic right now that I don't have the time to devote to it. I want to be able to really spend HOURS in a row with it. Sarum remains my favorite Rutherfurd, with Russka running a close second.
    I had thought perhaps it was you, Critical, when I wrote that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply. I started Paris late last night and it is looking good.

As a native of NYC, New York is still my favorite, possibly because I know so many of the areas he wrote about. I haven't read Russka yet, but it's on my list.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I finally finished Cant Buy Me Love by Jonathan Gould, a book about the Beatles. It sticks mostly to the facts about their lives as musicians and celebrities. Its detailed but not too bogged down by information. I found out a lot of things I never knew---that they were paid a thousand dollars each for being on the Ed Sullivan Show--how the albums Rubber Soul and Revolver got their names. How good an influence Brian Epstein was on them, how quickly things went sour after his death. How bad an influence yoko Ono was on all of them.
    Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America by Jonathan Gould

I'm currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'm about halfway through. It's okay so far but I am interested to see where the story goes.

Anyone looking for something new to read - go out and buy/borrow Kimberly McCreight's Reconstructing Amelia immediately. I wasn't going to read it because I thought it would be a little too close to home - moms of daughters will understand when they read it - but so glad I did. In fact, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend.

When Kate, single mother and law firm partner, gets an urgent phone call summoning her to her daughter's exclusive private school, she's shocked. Amelia has been suspended for cheating, something that would be completely out of character for her over-achieving, well-behaved daughter.

Kate rushes to Grace Hall, but what she finds when she finally arrives is beyond comprehension.

Her daughter Amelia is dead.

Despondent over having been caught cheating, Amelia has jumped from the school's roof in an act of impulsive suicide. At least that's the story Grace Hall and the police tell Kate. In a state of shock and overcome by grief, Kate tries to come to grips with this life-shattering news. Then she gets an anonymous text:

Amelia didn't jump.

The moment she sees that message, Kate knows in her heart it's true. Clearly Amelia had secrets, and a life Kate knew nothing about. Wracked by guilt, Kate is determined to find out what those secrets were and who could have hated her daughter enough to kill. She searches through Amelia's e-mails, texts, and Facebook updates, piecing together the last troubled days of her daughter's life.

Reconstructing Amelia is a stunning debut page-turner that brilliantly explores the secret world of teenagers, their clandestine first loves, hidden friendships, and the dangerous cruelty that can spill over into acts of terrible betrayal.
    Reconstructing Amelia: A Novel - Kimberly McCreight - Google Books
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Almost done with Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch, the second book in the series. Love it! I'm not usually a series fan but I'm totally hooked. I think they're making a TV series out of these books next year, hopefully they won't stink it up.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I just finished *Dead In Alabama by Margo Bond Collins. It's about a girl who is brutally murdered in Dallas but ends up as a ghost in Alabama. She witnesses a murder and searches for someone who can see her so the accused husband doesn't remain in jail for the crime. She finds a sassy black woman and her even sassier grandma. It has a good plot, strong characters and quite a bit of humor. I read it in a day...lol

ETA: The real title of the book is *Waking Up Dead.
    Last edited by JavaJo; 11-27-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

So I finished The Fault in Our Stars and I don't get what all the praise is about. I thought it was incredibly flat and pretentious. Has anyone else read it?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I just finished Dead In Alabama by Margo Bond Collins. It's about a girl who is brutally murdered in Dallas but ends up as a ghost in Alabama. She witnesses a murder and searches for someone who can see her so the accused husband doesn't remain in jail for the crime. She finds a sassy black woman and her even sassier grandma. It has a good plot, strong characters and quite a bit of humor. I read it in a day...lol
    The only book I could find by her on Amazon was Waking Up Dead... is that a different book?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    The only book I could find by her on Amazon was Waking Up Dead... is that a different book?
    Yes, I'm sorry. Waking Up Dead is the correct title. She says that phrase several times in the book and I think it just stuck. Sorry for the confusion.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I downloaded it on my Kindle and will read it in front of the glass-front wood stove today. Thanks for the recommendation.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread