+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Critical!! I'm so impressed with your new circle of friends! I love Maupin so much.....
    If only. I've been an admirer of Maupin for many years. It was wonderful to meet him and have it confirmed for me that he's just as nice (and funny and normal) as I'd imagined he would be. Plus, in talking to him I found out that another of my favorite authors, George R. R. Martin, is also a really nice person. Wally Lamb was just the cherry on the cake of the event. I'm sure Ivan Doig would have been just as kind and friendly, but I settled for watching him eat his scrambled eggs a few tables over.....and hoping that no one thought I was creepily staring at him eat his breakfast!

I couldn't wait to start another book, so now I'm reading Dave Eggers' new one, The Circle. The Goldfinch is just too thick and bulky - and because it's a galley, it's in paperback, so even more unwieldy - to read in bed. So, I'm reading the Tartt everywhere but in bed. The Eggers is kind of a commentary about the internet and privacy:
    When Mae Holland is hired to work for the Circle, the world’s most powerful internet company, she feels she’s been given the opportunity of a lifetime. The Circle, run out of a sprawling California campus, links users’ personal emails, social media, banking, and purchasing with their universal operating system, resulting in one online identity and a new age of civility and transparency. As Mae tours the open-plan office spaces, the towering glass dining facilities, the cozy dorms for those who spend nights at work, she is thrilled with the company’s modernity and activity. There are parties that last through the night, there are famous musicians playing on the lawn, there are athletic activities and clubs and brunches, and even an aquarium of rare fish retrieved from the Marianas Trench by the CEO. Mae can’t believe her luck, her great fortune to work for the most influential company in the world—even as life beyond the campus grows distant, even as a strange encounter with a colleague leaves her shaken, even as her role at the Circle becomes increasingly public. What begins as the captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't know if anyone else gets emails from ereader and bookbub. They send an email to you daily with all kinds of books that are bargain or free to download to your kindle or PC. You can customize the categories you receive. I have gotten some really good reads that way. Lots to keep me reading for a while.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else gets emails from ereader and bookbub. They send an email to you daily with all kinds of books that are bargain or free to download to your kindle or PC. You can customize the categories you receive. I have gotten some really good reads that way. Lots to keep me reading for a while.
    I get several alerts and have been notified of some great deals that way.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn over the weekend. Wow I loved it! I enjoyed Gone Girl quite a bit, but will admit there were some suspension of reality parts of it. Dark Places didn't have those holes and was incredibly planned out and well written!

Today I got a galley of the upcoming Julianna Baggott novel, Burn, the final book in the Pure trilogy. I'm in the middle of two really great books - The Circle and The Goldfinch - and I want to put them both down to read this one! There are NOT enough hours in the day to get everything done AND read all of the books.

I'll be sure to post here with a non-spoilerish review for those of you who are waiting for the final book to be released in February. I know I can't wait to see how the story ends! I don't want to take the time to read Pure and Fuse again before I dive into Burn, but I think I'll look around online to see if any sites have plot summaries to refresh my memory.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I get several alerts and have been notified of some great deals that way.
    I have found some new fave authors that way too.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've had a chance to read a lot lately... The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett, And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Housseini, and now The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett. I also recently read State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I really loved Bel Canto several years ago, so I've been reading other things by her. Didn't like Run which I read shortly after Bel Canto, so didn't look for more then, but my daughter liked Bel Canto and asked me to put more on the Kindle.
    Count your blessings!

I am in the middle of Cant Buy Me Love by Jonathan Gould. Its about the Beatles and is full of fascinating bits of info I had never known about them!
    Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America - Jonathan Gould - Google Books

I've just started Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. I heard an interview by he and his son yesterday on NPR. This is the sequel to The Shining where Dan Torrance, the young boy in The Shining, has grown up. I think I have only read two of his books in the last 30 years, but prior to that I read everything he wrote. It's good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I've just started Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. I heard an interview by he and his son yesterday on NPR. This is the sequel to The Shining where Dan Torrance, the young boy in The Shining, has grown up. I think I have only read two of his books in the last 30 years, but prior to that I read everything he wrote. It's good so far.
    I read everything I could get my hands on by him until Desperation. After that, his work disappointed me. Read a couple for book club. I did enjoy Cell though.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread