+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Dune: House Corrino - Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson

One of a series of prequels, or however they may be designated, which match, or possibly exceed at least the later originals, IMO.

There have been a few grand series I've encountered in the past that not only left me pining for more generally, but seemed to leave whole worlds of primary character realms unexamined except in teasing fashion.

These two have ably corrected that (I suppose) necessary neglect as it relates to the Dune series.

The latter additions are more readable as well as more of what I wanted than the second trilogy of the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My library had "Where'd You Go Bernadette" on audio book. I listened to it on a long drive this summer and enjoyed it.
    I just finished this one, too. It was entertaining...

I'm working HARD on finishing Where's You Go Bernadette because I have a HUGE bunch of new books! I went to a big trade show this weekend and got so many goodies! I have upcoming releases from Amy Tan, Pat Conroy, Dave Eggers, Ivan Doig, Wally Lamb, Armistead Maupin, Jeffrey Deaver, Alan Gurganus and Donna Tartt(!!!!) and dozens more.

I had a few total book geek moments this weekend (okay, MANY of them, but I'll share a few). I can't think of many who would understand, but I think a few posters here would.....

The first came right as we went to registration to get our name badge. There was an older gentleman standing there as well and since we were early, there weren't many other attendees around. We struck up a conversation and a few minutes into it, I kept thinking he looked familiar and took a peek at his name badge. It was ARMISTEAD MAUPIN! As my friend said when I told her, "Oh, you mean the author who's the reason we call it 'THE CITY'?" We talked about TV shows, including his husband's love of Game of Thrones and his friendship with George R. R. Martin, who he said is just as kind as he seems. They live in Santa Fe, so he had GRRM over for dinner not long ago (I know ----> ). Anyway, we talked about books and Santa Fe and Comic Con until his publishing rep came to collect him. If I had know who he was first, I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to say a thing OR I would have totally geeked out and acted like a fool. Really, he was so kind and fun and normal. I just wanted to hang out with him more! When my mom and I walked away, we were like "Best trade show ever and we just got here!"

That night at dinner, we were eating in the hotel restaurant one table over from a man who looked vaguely familiar, but since I go to this event every year and have done for nearly ten years, I know a lot of people. He was just sitting there by himself eating dinner and then spent some time checking email or doing other stuff on his phone. Anyway, the next day, we went to a brunch event where the speakers included Ivan Doig and Wally Lamb. When we walked in, I saw both of them standing to the side talking. NO WAY was I going to interrupt that, so I settled for just knowing that two writers I admire SO MUCH were mere feet away from me. When I got up to hit the buffet, I found myself standing on the opposite side of the table from Wally Lamb. I mustered up the courage to tell him that I really enjoy his work (major understatement). He thanked me and then said "You look familiar. Have we met?" I was getting ready to say that I just have one of those faces when he said, "Oh, you were sitting at the table next to me at dinner last night!" Again --> We had a little chat over scrambled eggs and crepes in the buffet line before another fan came and geeked out over him.

So yeah, I have NORMAL human (vs. total fangirly) conversations with two of my literary heroes. Both of them were so gracious and funny. I'm still riding a high!

Now I have to get my new acquisitions organized and start reading. Reviews coming soon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

JEALOUS!
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Hee It was pretty freaking awesome. I've been going to this event for years and although we've had some great experiences and seen some major authors speak, this one was the best by far. I'm still a bit giddy.

I always come home with piles of books, at least a dozen of which I want to read IMMEDIATELY. First up is Donna Tartt's new one, The Goldfinch. The Secret History is one of my all-time favorites and I'm super excited for this one. It's close to 800 pages, but I'm told it's a fast read. After that, probably Dave Eggers new one The Circle and then maybe on to Amy Tan. Reviews are coming!

For those of you who have been reading Julianna Baggott's Pure Trilogy, the last installment, Burn releases in February. A rep is sending me a galley, so I'll be sure to post a review....spoiler-free, of course
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I've met many well known authors of children's and YA books at library conferences. What I've noticed is that most of them are easy to strike up a regular conversation with. I once ended up next to Lois Lowry, a Newbery Award winning author, at a cocktail party and she and I talked about the recent mutual experience of losing our mothers. That was a special conversation.

From what I can tell, being an author requires lots of time being alone interspersed with meeting and speaking to large groups of fans if you make it.

I am currently listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants, which is quite a ride through her life. I just finished a book by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein called I Funny. If you occasionally dabble in kid lit, this one is a pleasant surprise. A mix of funny and sad. And glad.

I am so grateful for having access to audiobooks as I can get reading done while driving to meetings, doing housework, etc.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I always come home with piles of books, at least a dozen of which I want to read IMMEDIATELY. First up is Donna Tartt's new one, The Goldfinch. The Secret History is one of my all-time favorites and I'm super excited for this one.
    I look forward to seeing your review of this one. The Secret History is one of my favourites as well...have read it at least a half-dozen times. I didn't much like her second book, so I'm hoping this one will be more on a par with TSH.

I'm reading Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. First time reading this Bronte sister. It's okay, bit slow going in the beginning. Then I have my Walmart-discounted copy of Doctor Sleep up next.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I look forward to seeing your review of this one. The Secret History is one of my favourites as well...have read it at least a half-dozen times. I didn't much like her second book, so I'm hoping this one will be more on a par with TSH.

I'm reading Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. First time reading this Bronte sister. It's okay, bit slow going in the beginning. Then I have my Walmart-discounted copy of Doctor Sleep up next.
    I'm about 80 ages in and all I want to do is read more! Life keeps getting in the way. It's really REALLY good. My mom also got a copy and is much farther along than I am. She wasn't familiar with Donna Tartt prior to this, but is loving the book. It's just shy of 800 pages and she got through half of it in a few days, even with lots of distractions. It's a pretty quick read.

IMO, The Secret Friend was kind of a sophomore slump. Not bad, but not up to the level of The Secret History, although really, how could she have lived up to that? I won't go so far as to say that this one is as good a TSH, because I've only read a fraction of it. I remain optimistic.

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. Its set in the past and present, with the story of Brigham Young's 19th wife and her fight against polygamy and the story of a 19th wife, in a Warren Jeffs-like lead group, accused of killing her husband. They made a movie of it on Lifetime, which wasn't near as good as the book. Excellent read.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Critical!! I'm so impressed with your new circle of friends! I love Maupin so much.....
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread