+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read that Hallie Ephron a month or two ago, FM. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Super excited about Monuments Men! The book is one of my favorites. I'm hoping the movie will do the book justice. I read a really hilarious live blog review of the Mortal Instruments movie. Apparently, it's pretty bad.

This list caused me to hunt down more classics that I've never read: The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - How many have you read?
    I've read about 100 of the books on the list. If I didn't have a bit of an aversion to Dickens and Hemingway, my number would be higher!

Right now I'm reading two books. The first is Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth, which I can't believe I haven't read before. I'm really enjoying it. The second is for my book club - Red Brick, Black Mountain, White Clay by Christopher Benfey. It's a family memoir. Kind of hard to describe. Here's the back cover blurb:
    Oooh! That clay book looks good. Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

If you haven't read Monuments Men, Gut, I'd HIGHLY recommend that one! The book rep who gave it to me said it was his favorite title of the year and it was a favorite with my book club as well. Really wonderful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

"The Ear of the Heart: An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    "The Ear of the Heart: An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows.
    I have a hold on that. Can't wait! Did you see the documentary God is the Bigger Elvis? If not you might like it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Sort-of read Beyond Belief - My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape. By Jenna Miscavige Hill, whose name means something if you have ever read anything about Scientology (her Uncle Dave is the top Thetan, CEO, bossman, whatever you want to call it.) This was supposed to be a big expose on Scientology, so I overlooked the dramatic subtitle. Actually, it's the most interesting thing about the book. I sort-of read it because I was so bored by chapter 14 I sped-read the remainder (it was overdue at the library, anyway). I'm interested in alternative religions, just because I like theology, so I thought this would be a good read for me.

Basically, what I learned was that Scientology is as tiresome and full of rote-learning as most organized religions and that nothing they do is that shocking (it would be hard to top the Catholic priest scandals of the last few years, mind you). The author and her family were high-ranking Scientologists, belonging to "Sea Org", a sect that isolates members from the general public (known as "Wogs"). The kids' upbringing is pretty Spartan in nature, and there's not a lot of academics - guess that's why she needed a co-author. But honestly, it didn't seem a lot worse than, say, military school. The one minor surprise in the book was that Scientology does borrow heavily from the military, with uniforms, addressing superiors as "sir", heavy manual labour, etc. Not what I would call ideal conditions for people but nowhere near the worst - and the bottom line is that remaining in the religion is a choice for adults (obviously, if they are involved their young offspring do what they're told). No, they don't get a going-away party with cake and presents, but that's pretty much par for the course for anyone who leaves an organized religion.

Anyway, this book is a snooze. If you are interested in the minutiae of the practice of Scientology, or need a cure for insomnia, check it out. Otherwise... z
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I clicked a great link on Yahoo called "14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen" (and are therefore ruined ). Check it out: 14 Books To Read Before They Hit The Big Screen

I've already read a couple of these books and it so happens they are ones I loved (Horns, Gone Girl - about died when I saw Daniel Radcliffe with the horns). So I figured there was more on the list worth reading. I'm not a fan of most young adult lit, so I will leave the City of Bones and Divergent films to my teenager, but I did reserve The Spectacular Now at the library, as well as Reconstructing Amelia, The Wolf of Wall Street (might have to go buy this one, as it's the one I'm most anxious to read next) and The Monuments Men.

In the meantime, I picked up a copy of Ender's Game with some trepidation, as I'm so not a science fiction fan. Now I'm kicking myself to being so late to this series. This is a great, original book and I'm delighted to see that there are three more Ender books in this series awaiting me (apparently there are also more spin-off novels as well). Highly, highly recommend, and I will be passing it to my teenager as soon as I'm finished. I plan to be in line for the movie on its opening weekend.
    I decided to print out this list and read them all! I have had Gone Girl on my kindle for a few months, but hadn't started it yet. After seeing this list, I decided to start with that one last night. I am hooked - and I know I'm behind most of you. Since I had seen the posts here for months about a big plot twist, I figured out right away what it was - so some of the surprise is gone for me. That being said, I am really liking the book and looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.
    AJane and AcookerTV like this.

I am reading three Nichlolas Sparks books!

The Best of Me! (About 15 pages left).

The Wedding! (Half way done).

At First Sight! (Just started).

I love all of NS' books!
    inthegarden likes this.
    KAREN

Halfway through The Wisdom of Psychopaths, by Kevin Dutton. Fascinating, and Dr Dutton is an amazing writer and researcher. He (very convincingly) asserts that psychopathic traits are found not only in criminals and killers, but in successful professionals from surgeons to stockbrokers, and that there is a "scale" of psychopathy. I was a crim student back in the day and this subject is like catnip for me, but this is very readable non-fiction. It's not in the least gory or sensational, and it's not full of name-dropping (just a couple of mentions of Gacy and Bundy). Insightful and intriguing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished another Linwood Barclay book--Bad Move. Very funny and still edge of your seat.
    Bad Move by Linwood Barclay - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

+ Reply to Thread