+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Evidently the kind that read Romantic poets instead! Really, I don't know anyone who had to read Maugham in high school....or college. I found a bunch of free Kindle editions of his work, so I'm going to continue my education!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just returned from a long vacation with lots of airport time (traveling stand-by during tourist season ) and owe a debt of gratitude to my friends here. I must have gone through 5 or 6 books recommended here between the time I left home and my homecoming. Thanks everyone!
    Count your blessings!

Finished Flowertown by S.G. Redling this morning. I thought it was an excellent dystopian thriller. Nice twist at the end, too!

Just started The Fort by Aric Davis. Pretty good so far, this one is going to be a quick read.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I clicked a great link on Yahoo called "14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen" (and are therefore ruined ). Check it out: 14 Books To Read Before They Hit The Big Screen

I've already read a couple of these books and it so happens they are ones I loved (Horns, Gone Girl - about died when I saw Daniel Radcliffe with the horns). So I figured there was more on the list worth reading. I'm not a fan of most young adult lit, so I will leave the City of Bones and Divergent films to my teenager, but I did reserve The Spectacular Now at the library, as well as Reconstructing Amelia, The Wolf of Wall Street (might have to go buy this one, as it's the one I'm most anxious to read next) and The Monuments Men.

In the meantime, I picked up a copy of Ender's Game with some trepidation, as I'm so not a science fiction fan. Now I'm kicking myself to being so late to this series. This is a great, original book and I'm delighted to see that there are three more Ender books in this series awaiting me (apparently there are also more spin-off novels as well). Highly, highly recommend, and I will be passing it to my teenager as soon as I'm finished. I plan to be in line for the movie on its opening weekend.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I had no idea they were making a movie of Horns. Yay! I can live with Daniel Radcliffe as Ig. I enjoyed that article, AJane - been wanting to read Ender's Game anyway plus there were a few more on there I need to add to my wish list.

Recently read Twittering from the Circus of the Dead, a Joe Hill (very) short story. Enjoyably creepy. Right now I'm in the middle of The Sky Unwashed, a fictional tale of the aftermath of Chernobyl in the surrounding villages. Heartbreaking.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Fogey

I'm reading THe Fault in Our Stars right now, which is on that list. I'm a little more than half way through, and so far, I'm loving it. It's one of those books where the characters just suck you in from the start and you want to make time to read it because you want to "hang out" with them.

Thanks to recommendations, I'm in the middle to Flowertown and enjoying it very much.
    waywyrd likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I clicked a great link on Yahoo called "14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen" (and are therefore ruined ). Check it out: 14 Books To Read Before They Hit The Big Screen
    Super excited about Monuments Men! The book is one of my favorites. I'm hoping the movie will do the book justice. I read a really hilarious live blog review of the Mortal Instruments movie. Apparently, it's pretty bad.

This list caused me to hunt down more classics that I've never read: The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - How many have you read?
    I've read about 100 of the books on the list. If I didn't have a bit of an aversion to Dickens and Hemingway, my number would be higher!

Right now I'm reading two books. The first is Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth, which I can't believe I haven't read before. I'm really enjoying it. The second is for my book club - Red Brick, Black Mountain, White Clay by Christopher Benfey. It's a family memoir. Kind of hard to describe. Here's the back cover blurb:
    An unforgettable voyage across the reaches of America and the depths of memory, this generational memoir of one incredible family reveals Americaís unique craft tradition. In Red Brick, Black Mountain, White Clay, renowned critic Christopher Benfey shares storiesóof his motherís upbringing in rural North Carolina among centuries-old folk potteries; of his fatherís escape from Nazi Europe; of his great-aunt and -uncle Josef and Anni Albers, famed Bauhaus artists exiled at Black Mountain Collegeóunearthing an ancestry, and an aesthetic, that is quintessentially American. With the grace of a novelist and the eye of a historian, Benfey threads these stories together into a radiant and mesmerizing harmony.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    SI read a really hilarious live blog review of the Mortal Instruments movie. Apparently, it's pretty bad.

This list caused me to hunt down more classics that I've never read: The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - How many have you read?
    I've read about 100 of the books on the list. If I didn't have a bit of an aversion to Dickens and Hemingway, my number would be higher!
    Heh...my teenager said that City of Bones was a better movie than she expected. She and her friend are fangirls and went on opening day. I'm not interested in the series at all.

I went through that list and I've read 90 of them...only 2 stars for me. I have a Dickens aversion myself. Also, I confess I did not read all of those books voluntarily - some of them were forced reads for English class. I think my favourite entry was Judy Blume's Deenie. That sure brought me back! My younger daughter has slight scoliosis and when the doctor pointed it out, Deenie was the first thing I thought of. I guess Judy Blume was my generation's "young adult" lit star. Funny how those old stories stick with me. I also remember the Encyclopedia Brown series very well...nice to see him on the list.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

There was an old Woman,- not sure where this is going( yet) so far so good
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread