+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Way, I think I was expecting more from Gone Girl, probably because so many people had raved about it. I was happy it was a fast read and it kept my attention, but I didn't LOVE it and didn't recommend it to anyone. I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't see what the fuss was about.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was really into it up until the end, then I was just wondering why. I didn't hate it by any means, but the ending still has me scratching my head. Oh well.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I thought Gone Girl had an extremely clever and original premise at its core. While I was not enamored of the ending, I still thought it was an exceptional book.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just read a lot of books in that genre. I wasn't that impressed. I guess I just expected better based on all the raves
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I have just started reading Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay. I have been trying to get my hands on everything he has written this summer. So far, so good.
    Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I thought Gone Girl had an extremely clever and original premise at its core. While I was not enamored of the ending, I still thought it was an exceptional book.
    Yes!! the ending was , meh. But I could not put this book down
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Thank you all for your posts. I've read 3 of the last books you recommended and enjoyed them all!
    A Tale for the time being - Ruth Ozeki
    Beautiful ruins - Jess Walter
    Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford

I read them back-to-back-to-back and went from Japanese, to Italian, to Chinese-American.
    I read Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet some time ago and I loved it!

I have two non-fiction, sports related books on the library wait list right now: Jimmy Conner's autobiographical The Outsider and journalist David Halberstam's Everything They Had. I've read a few of Halberstam's sports and political books and I admire his work. I'm hoping his, The Fifties gets to my library soon.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I was really into it up until the end, then I was just wondering why. I didn't hate it by any means, but the ending still has me scratching my head. Oh well.
    Now, I liked the ending. Low-key but creepy. I would really recommend checking out Gillian Flynn's other books, specifically Sharp Objects.

I finished NOS4A2 over my vacation. I'm a big fan of Joe Hill, and I'm a big fan of his dad. However, I didn't love the way the beginning of the book reminded me THAT much of dad. Actually, I might have mistaken this for a King book if I hadn't known who wrote it. Thankfully, Hill found his own style again a few chapters in, otherwise I would have been disappointed. He's edgier than his dad and more new-school (I could imagine this story done in graphic-novel form).
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I read Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet some time ago and I loved it!
    Jamie Ford's new one, Songs of Willow Frost comes out next month and I HIGHLY recommend it. Just lovely.

I finished Somerset Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence for my book club and really liked it. I can't believe I hadn't read anything by Maugham before. I'm going to hunt up some free e-books of his other work.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I finished Somerset Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence for my book club and really liked it. I can't believe I hadn't read anything by Maugham before. I'm going to hunt up some free e-books of his other work.
    What?!? You didn't have to read Of Human Bondage in English class? What kind of high school did you go to?

Seriously, I liked Maugham enough to re-read Of Human Bondage and The Razor's Edge after I left school. I have a special love for fiction set in the '30's and '40's (my mom gave me all her old novels when I was a teenager after she saw me reading her copy of Marjorie Morningstar to tatters), so I do prefer The Razor's Edge.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread