+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. This is the first book I've read by this author and I absolutely loved it. The story begins in 1962 but goes back and forth in time, including WWII to present day. It's laugh out loud funny and it's so poignant it can make you cry. So smart and beautifully written, it's the best book I've read in a long time -- and I read a lot!

Looks good! I just put it on my Kindle. I have a lot of time for reading now, so looking for good recommendations.
    Count your blessings!

I'm a few hundred pages into the epic Dark Water: Art, Disaster, and Redemption in Florence by Robert Clark. This is another one for my book club. It focuses mainly on the horrific flood of 1966 that devastated Florence and the efforts to recover from it. It reads like a great novel. It's jaw dropping. I searched online and found the documentary that Franco Zeffirelli filmed - the only documentary he ever made - in the days after the flood. I couldn't find the English version - both versions were narrated by Richard Burton - but the video of the flood's aftermath is astonishing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

According to my Kindle (ha!), I'm at 67% on the galley of Jamie Ford's new book, Songs of Willow Frost. I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and this one does not disappoint.

Here's the blurb from Amazon (which I assume will be on the back cover):
    From Jamie Ford, the New York Times bestselling author of the beloved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, comes a much-anticipated second novel. Set against the backdrop of Depression-era Seattle, Songs of Willow Frost is a powerful tale of two souls—a boy with dreams for his future and a woman escaping her haunted past—both seeking love, hope, and forgiveness.

Twelve-year-old William Eng, a Chinese American boy, has lived at Seattle’s Sacred Heart Orphanage ever since his mother’s listless body was carried away from their small apartment five years ago. On his birthday—or rather, the day the nuns designate as his birthday—William and the other orphans are taken to the historical Moore Theatre, where William glimpses an actress on the silver screen who goes by the name of Willow Frost. Struck by her features, William is convinced that the movie star is his mother, Liu Song.

Determined to find Willow and prove that his mother is still alive, William escapes from Sacred Heart with his friend Charlotte. The pair navigate the streets of Seattle, where they must not only survive but confront the mysteries of William’s past and his connection to the exotic film star. The story of Willow Frost, however, is far more complicated than the Hollywood fantasy William sees onscreen.

Shifting between the Great Depression and the 1920s, Songs of Willow Frost takes readers on an emotional journey of discovery. Jamie Ford’s sweeping novel will resonate with anyone who has ever longed for the comforts of family and a place to call home.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The Jamie Ford book was wonderful! So poignant and lovely. Highly recommended

I'm about halfway through In Turkey I am Beautiful by Brendan Shanahan. It's part travelogue, part history/political science lecture all set in Turkey. Very witty and informative as well.

I am in the middle of Always Watching by Chevy Stevens. I really liked her first book--Still Missing--and this one is a good read as well!
    Always Watching | Chevy Stevens | Macmillan

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I am in the middle of Always Watching by Chevy Stevens. I really liked her first book--Still Missing--and this one is a good read as well!
    Always Watching | Chevy Stevens | Macmillan
    I, too, liked Still Missing - thanks for the heads-up! Have you read Never Knowing as well? Oddly enough, it's been gathering dust on my bookshelf for the last year. Too many books, too little time, I guess. I think I will start with that one and then pick up Always Watching (her titles are all so similar that I constantly get them mixed up!)

Just finished the eagerly anticipated new Curtis Sittenfeld novel, Sisterland, which was a fine piece of writing. I especially enjoyed the twin aspect. I also recently read Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn, a rather creepy yet heartfelt paranormal YA that I thoroughly enjoyed. It has been described as "Sara Shepard meets Stephen King", which seems sort of apt.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I finished a very odd quick little read called The Dinner by Herman Koch. A little too quick...I ended up feeling that three of the main characters' development was half-baked and as a result, the ending was not that believable. But the dust jacket had many accolades from very famous authors who I like, so WTH do I know.

To fill some time before our summer road trip, I'm re-reading Dennis Lehane's The Given Day - I do love this book - and am resisting opening my copy of Joe Hill's NOS4A2, at least until the first full day of travel.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I finished My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki. Didn't like it nearly as much as A Tale for the Time Being, but I've started her other novel, All Over Creation. I'm hoping it's not as didactic.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I finished a very odd quick little read called The Dinner by Herman Koch. A little too quick...I ended up feeling that three of the main characters' development was half-baked and as a result, the ending was not that believable. But the dust jacket had many accolades from very famous authors who I like, so WTH do I know.

To fill some time before our summer road trip, I'm re-reading Dennis Lehane's The Given Day - I do love this book - and am resisting opening my copy of Joe Hill's NOS4A2, at least until the first full day of travel.
    Oooh, I LOVED NOS4A2, AJane! It felt very old school Stephen King (in a good way) while still managing to pull its own weight. Dead scary, but moving, too. Joe Hill's best so far IMHO.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread