+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finished The Dome. Nightmares tonight.

Reminds me of...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    a short story I read long, long ago about a little boy playing marbles. Inside the ring were marbles the color of our planets. He is just about to hit the blue one outside the circle when his mother calls him to dinner. In other words, we do not control our own fate, much less have a fate to control. Children are capricious.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I am in the middle of reading Joyland by Stephen King, and its very good. Joyland by Stephen King - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

No nightmares. But, I did dream I lived in the town.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe that was because the ending, while bitter, was also uplifting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

My latest Discover magazine. I'm a nerd. Yay! I'm waiting on Psychology Today.
    libgirl2, Arielflies and Cootie like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

I'm currently reading "The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Not what I expected, but good summer reading.
    Count your blessings!

FoRTer

^ I read that, based on someone mentioning it here, and liked it a lot. Just finished "My Life Next Door" - YA fiction that my daughter had checked out. It's an easy summer read, written from the point of view of a 17 year-old girl, so it sort of takes you back to what it was like to be that age.

Too funny, I just read The Language of Flowers on, I think, Friday. I'm visiting my folks and it's the selection for my mom's book club. I liked it, although I've talked to a few people who didn't. I thought it was a fine first novel. Plus, it was a SUPER fast read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I might need to take this discussion to the Food and Health thread. It made me think and do more research.
    spockwhat likes this.

Please do! I want to know more.
    I finished "The Language of Flowers" last night and wasn't thrilled. I guess having just read "A Tale for the Time Being" kind of spoiled me for formula books.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'd love to hear more too, Cootie.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

+ Reply to Thread