+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think I'm somewhere near the middle. It's a slow slog for me because of the gross horror element, but I'm determined to finish before the mini-series airs at the end of the month. I'm trying to figure out how they will get all the nuanced stuff in, including King's one line narrations such as..."They haven't been found, yet."
    He does seem rather fond of telling us about people soiling themselves when they die. yuck
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Aw, I was hoping you'd like this one. By the third book I was addicted. He did go on at length about mechanical things, but I was so into the characters I could overlook it.

I finally finished King's Under the Dome. What a monster. I have to say it didn't grab me right away, but by the second half I didn't want to put it down. There was a whole lot of human ugliness - only a handful of characters were remotely likable. I don't know how well it will translate into a TV series (especially network), but I'll check it out anyway.
    I liked the concept of Wool - the communities in the silos, the evil IT department - but for me, the execution wasn't there. I may pick up the prequels as I admit I'm curious about how it all came to be.

I picked up a copy of Under the Dome today. No way will I finish before the TV series begins but I think I'll PVR it and catch up once I'm done the book. I may need a physiotherapist after carting it around while I read it. How on earth does he churn out these epic-length novels so regularly? Doesn't he watch TV, go for bike rides, or sleep?

Right now I'm rushing through Andrew Pyper's The Demonologist. It's billed as being frightening, but it's actually really depressing. It's also one of those novels that reads like a pitch for a screenplay for what passes for horror movies these days (stuff like Mama, The Possession, etc.). With a little DaVinci Code-like Catholicism tossed in.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I want to thank whoever recommended "A Tale for the Time Being"! I am savoring this delicious book. My daughter read it and is dying to discuss it with me, but I don't want it to end.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I want to thank whoever recommended "A Tale for the Time Being"! I am savoring this delicious book. My daughter read it and is dying to discuss it with me, but I don't want it to end.
    Oh, that was me! I'm so glad you're enjoying it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finished reading Water for Elephants! Great story, animals, suspense, romance, animals, bad guys, good guys, and a girl!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Am I the only dingbat that didn't know that Joe Hill is SK's son?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I've completed 70% of The Dome and had to force myself to put it down. You were right...it really picks up after the halfway point.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Am I the only dingbat that didn't know that Joe Hill is SK's son?
    I didn't know for the longest time, either. I think I found out on Amazon while browsing Kindle books.

You're almost there, Ariel! You might get that sucker finished before the series starts.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Enjoy is probably not quite the right term about a book that includes the Japanese Internment during World War 2 here in the States. The title says it best: bitter and sweet. I quite liked it.

Just finished The Bridge by John Skipp. It was described as a splatterpunk novel in several reviews - they definitely got the splatter part right. Don't get attached to any of the characters, they won't be around long.

From Amazon:

When the great storm comes, the good life ends. And hell on Earth begins. For 100 years we’ve been tossing our toxic waste over our shoulders. No more. This morning, while we slept, something woke up. It’s virulent. Malign. Intelligent. Ambitious. It’s in our food, our water, our air. It’s inside our bodies themselves. And it’s not leaving. We are.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread