+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Ooooh! I got a galley of The Painted Girls from a rep last fall, but (as usual) haven't read it yet. We were considering it as a selection for my book club, but I wasn't sure about it for that group. One of the copies of Degas' Little Dancer is at the Norton Simon. I grew up seeing her there. Based on your review, I'm looking forward to reading it even more!

Right now, I'm reading Antoine's Alphabet by Jed Perl about the art of Antoine Watteau. Each chapter is a letter of the alphabet and a discussion of one element of Watteau's art. Really clever format. It makes it sort of a fairy tale.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Great reviews! I ordered them both for my Kindle.
    Count your blessings!

I'm just over 60 pages in to The Gardner Heist by Ulrich Boser, about the 1990 theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. A member of my book club loaned it to me a few months ago and I'd forget about it until, of course, every month at our meetings. After the last meeting, I vowed to give it back to her next month. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Very well written and very interesting. Lots about the theft (and art thefts, in general), but a good bit about ISG, an entirely fascinating woman.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I've been to the museum... a lovely, lovely small place with an enclosed garden in the middle. Interesting art.
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Wool by Hugh Howey. I waited forever for my library copy. It's the kind of book I should love but I just kind of think it's ok. I really like the premise and it's a genre I generally enjoy, but I find the writing is a little sludgy when there's not much dialogue.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I've been to the museum... a lovely, lovely small place with an enclosed garden in the middle. Interesting art.
    Well, I HIGHLY recommend the book. Just the right amounts of art, history and intrigue. I haven't had too much time to read lately, but I'm well past he halfway mark. Once I finish, I'm going to watch Stolen, a documentary about the theft, which is available streaming on Netflix.

Thanks for both recommendations. I never know what to watch on Netflix. I only have the streaming version and there's nothing new on that... lots of documentaries and independents. I just charged my Kindle so I think I'll download the book right now while I'm thinking about it.
    Count your blessings!

I recently finished Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham - yep, THAT Lauren Graham. It is a light, fun tale of a struggling New York based actress, very much in line with what you'd expect from Graham. Excellent for the beach reading season if you're loking for something light and fun yet smart and fresh to read. And speaking of beach reads, I just purchased the latest novel by Lisa Jewell and have been making big Bambi eyes at the new Jane Green. Can't wait to read those. I hardly read any chick lit at all in the colder seasons, but come May, I can't seem to get enough of the stuff. Any more frequent chick lit readers who can guide me here? I adore anything by Jennifer Weiner, struggle a bit with Sophie Kinsella (her characters annoy the heck out of me, especially Becky in the Shopaholic series, but I did like The Undomestic Goddess) and don't really see the point in the more formulaic chick lit 101 stuff where it's all about shopping and finding Mr Right. Love: well-written, light, and funny (preferably sarcastic) novels about relationships.

Any recommendations?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Fogey

Just finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. A real page turner, couldn't put it down. It's about an elderly retired teacher who befriends a troubled young woman and then confides that he was a Nazi who worked in a concentration camp. The way the story unfolds, the historical detail (at times difficult to read) is truly captivating. Highly recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    Just finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. A real page turner, couldn't put it down. It's about an elderly retired teacher who befriends a troubled young woman and then confides that he was a Nazi who worked in a concentration camp. The way the story unfolds, the historical detail (at times difficult to read) is truly captivating. Highly recommend!
    Interesting. The plot sounds a little similar to the Stephen King novella Apt Pupil (though without the serial killing, I imagine).

I'm reading Damien Echols' Life After Death. Echols is one of the West Memphis Three, a famous murder case that I became interested in after an old Fort friend sent me a book about it. It became quite a cause célèbre and after some very contentious legal wrangling, resulted in the three convicted men (teenagers at the time of their arrests) being released a couple of years ago. (The trio were wrongly imprisoned for nearly 20 years for the murder of three small boys and Echols, branded as the ringleader, ended up on Death Row.) I've read books about the case and have seen the series of documentaries, and I admit I find Echols hard to like, though I certainly am shocked and horrified at how the three men were treated by the justice system. However, I am interested in his story as I understand he's exceptionally intelligent and talented, and I expect that he has a great deal of personal insight into how his experience has shaped him as he grew to adulthood behind bars.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread