+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

My daughter asked me to pre-order the new book by the author of Kite Runner on our kindles. It won't be delivered until May, but it sounds good.
    Count your blessings!

Elimination Night - By Anonymous

I am about 3/4 through this book now and figured this was a good forum to post about it.
    Picked it up in the new releases section of the library.

This is a very thinly disguised tell-all by a behind-the-scenes lackey on American Idol about season 10. Describes in great detail behind the scenes events.

Bibi = JLo
    Joey = Steven Tyler
    Shoreline = Seacrest
    Crowther = Cowel
    etc. even down to the contestants!

It's a really fun read, especially if you watch the show.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Elimination Night - By Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I am about 3/4 through this book now and figured this was a good forum to post about it.
    Picked it up in the new releases section of the library.

This is a very thinly disguised tell-all by a behind-the-scenes lackey on American Idol about season 10. Describes in great detail behind the scenes events.

Bibi = JLo
    Joey = Steven Tyler
    Shoreline = Seacrest
    Crowther = Cowel
    etc. even down to the contestants!

It's a really fun read, especially if you watch the show.
    Cornholio, what's the book title?

It's in the title of the post - Elimination Night by Anonymous
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

If you have a Prime account at Amazon you can borrow this book for free from their online (Kindle) library.

Since I didn't renew (didn't receive a annual notice) and since I no longer read as much as I once did to make the library an option for $79 a year, I bought the book for my Kindle for $5.99. I figured, in the long run, buying books will be cheaper than paying the Prime fee and borrowing.

There is a cute cartoon previewing the book, Elimination Night, at its site at the Kindle store.
    Cornholio likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I just started A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. It's the story of a 16-year old Japanese girl (told via her journal) who wants to commit suicide, but only after she tells the story of her 100+ year old great grandmother, who is a Buddhist nun, and then the woman who finds the journal on a beach in the Pacific Northwest. I only started it last night, but it really pulled me in.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thank you for that recommendation. The reviews on Amazon are glowing. It was more expensive than most e-books, but sounds like something I will really enjoy.
    My daughter and I are currently reading The End of Your Life Book Club by Wil Schwalbe... about his mother dying from pancreatic cancer and the books they read and discuss while she's having chemo. There are a lot of books we want to read based on that book - some we've already read.
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I really loved The End of Your Life Book Club, Gut. They read a bunch of books I haven't read (some of which I already own) and a bunch I have. I thought it was a lovely tribute to that mother son relationship and how books can bring people together. When I describe it to people, several have said that it sounds depressing and I've tried to explain that it's really not. It's bittersweet, but not depressing.

I'm only about 60 pages into the Ozeki book, but I'm really enjoying it. She just has a way of making you feel like you know the characters in such a short amount of time. The rep who gave it to me just raved about it and I wanted to read it sooner, but it took me this many months to finally get to it. "So many books, to little time" is a reality of my life!

I'm not a Stephen King fan, but I finally dove into Under The Dome. I am enjoying the story but boy, when SK finds a word he likes, he uses it repeatedly. No variety. For example, blat instead of cry or sob or wail or any other word that would fit the situation. That's just one of many. It drives me crazy
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I downloaded Under the Dome when they had it on sale a few weeks back but haven't felt ambitious enough to dive into another 1000+ page book. I will get through it before the miniseries starts this summer!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread