+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished reading The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey, an Alaskan native. It's beautifully written and based on a Russian fairy tale, The Snow Child tells of an older, childless couple, who leave their home back East to start anew on their homestead in Alaska.The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I loved The Snow Child. One of my favorite books last year. I think when I read it, there were maybe a few dozen reviews on Amazon and ALL were 5-star. I'd never seen that before.

I'm finishing up How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia, but I'm not sure how I feel about it or if I even liked it. I think the detachment from the characters - it's told in third person and none of the characters have names - makes it harder to become involved in the story.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I stayed up very late (and very early) to finish The End of Your Life Book Club. It was so good. Very poignant, because his mother is dying of cancer, but comforting as well. I consider myself fairly well-read, but they read authors and books I'd never heard of. A number of the books they read were ones that I own but haven't gotten to yet, including The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra and The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.
    I suggested this for my ladies book club to read and they all thought it would be too sad. Was it very?

I didn't think so. I mean, of course it's sad - his mother is dying - but it's more about their relationship, both with each other and with books. I didn't think the author "milked" the story for tears. I found it more poignant than sad. I'm not one to avoid a book because it might be sad though. Maybe read it and see what you think. I loved it.

I just started Above All Things by Tanis Rideout. The blurb from the dust jacket:
    In 1924 George Mallory departs on his third expedition to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Left behind in Cambridge, George’s young wife, Ruth, along with the rest of a war-ravaged England, anticipates news they hope will reclaim some of the empire’s faded glory. Through alternating narratives, what emerges is a beautifully rendered story of love torn apart by obsession and the need for redemption.
    I'm only a few pages in, but am enjoying it. I gave an extra copy to a friend and she loved it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan - nicely written fiction about Mississippi in the 40's, though the story wasn't exactly pleasant (racism). I think I'll read something light next, the last few books have been a bit dark and depressing.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Starting a week of vacation today. I was supposed to visit my son in CA but he just got a promotion and has to do training, so the trip is off. So now I have a week without a single planned event! I'll have to work my way back through everyone's recommendations and burrow into some good books!
    Count your blessings!

Gut, I'm sorry your trip fell through. I'm sure you were really looking forward to spending time with your son. I'm happy for you though that you now have all of that time for yourself!

I'm secretly relieved not to have to do the whole flight benefits stand-by going and coming home. I could easily be a recluse, so an unplanned week is a blessing to me. I got the audio version of, Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon at the library today to help me through housework and the librarian said everyone's been raving about it. Apparently the audio book has a lot of the music in the story incorporated into it which makes it more enjoyable.
    Count your blessings!

Well then, I'm glad it worked out! I know what you mean about being a recluse. I work from home, so I can go days without leaving the house and I'm perfectly happy!

I got a copy of Telegraph Hill a while back, but haven't gotten to it yet. I really loved Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'll be curious to hear what you think.

I'm still reading Above All Things in paper and just started Vladimir Alexandrov's The Black Russian on my phone. It's about a man who, while many African Americans migrated to the North following the Civil War, instead chose to head east, all the way to Moscow. The book starts on the eve of the Bolshevik Revolution as he's trying to flee with his family.

I just now realized I did it again - I picked two books that, on the surface don't seem like they'd be similar, but actually are. These are both historical fiction about strong men who were, in their own way, adventurers.

ETA: now that I'm a few pages into The Black Russian, I realize that it's actually non-fiction/history, not fiction.
    Last edited by Critical; 02-16-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Finished Feed by M.T. Anderson...it took me a chapter or two to get over the annoying slang, but it was thought provoking. And not very far-fetched to have a 24/7 internet feed implanted in our heads, considering how we're bombarded with crap as it is now.

I'm currently about halfway through Horns by Joe Hill, and love it so far. I can't wait to find out how it ends, but it's so good I don't want it to end!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread