+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay the $12.99 for Gone Girl, they're never going to reduce the Kindle price.

Currently reading Pines by Blake Crouch. Halfway through and I still haven't figured out what's going on in that creepy little town...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Speaking of re-visiting old friends, I'm on a marathon read of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. I recently purchased the latest for Kindle and it had been awhile, so I've become immersed once again in the realm of the CIA counter-terrorist. IRL, terrorists are still out there plotting, but in the books they, along with a corrupt politician now and then, are tracked down usually after a huge disaster, or the close aversion of a disaster. These are "thriller" books after all.

I'm glad I'm on a re-read as I'd forgotten the human stories Flynn includes. Once again I cried when Rapp's wife and unborn child were killed. That's why I like this series...it intrigues me and makes me feel emotion.
    inthegarden likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell - who wrote Cloud Atlas, which I loved. This is completely different - a boy's coming of age story. Liking it so far.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay the $12.99 for Gone Girl, they're never going to reduce the Kindle price.

Currently reading Pines by Blake Crouch. Halfway through and I still haven't figured out what's going on in that creepy little town...
    Gone Girl kindle edition is available on my digital public library. There's a long wait list, but I've found they move alone pretty quickly, so I'll wait it out.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I love her books. If you enjoy Winter Garden, you might like some of her other books.
    I'm on the reserve list for her newest book Home Front.
    Home Front wasn't available on my digital public library nor was Winter Garden, but I downloaded Between Sisters and breezed right through it. The title appealed to me as I have only one sister and I enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to reading more of Ms. Hannah's books.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Home Front wasn't available on my digital public library nor was Winter Garden, but I downloaded Between Sisters and breezed right through it. The title appealed to me as I have only one sister and I enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to reading more of Ms. Hannah's books.
    I hope you are able to find more of her books. Another favorite author of mine is Luanne Rice. Her books are similar to Kristin Hannah.

I liked Gone Girl enough to put library holds on Gillian Flynn's other two novels. The ending was pretty much what I'd expected, but it was a great ride getting there.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I was thinking about having it for our Horror Book Club selection at some point. Let me know if you liked it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I did like it! The second half got a little wild...the author was inspired by Twin Peaks, and it shows. I don't know if I'd classify it as pure horror, though. It started out that way, then got sci-fi/apocalyptic towards the end. I'd never heard of the author, but I very much liked his writing style.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I finished The Five Acts of Diego Leon a few days ago. Definitely a , but not necessarily a happy book. The main character was terribly conflicted about the decision he'd made and how they affected the people in his life. Still, I enjoyed it.

I also read Amy Hatvany's Heart Like Mine about a woman who is thrown into full-blown parenthood when her new fiance's ex-wife dies suddenly. I have several others by the author, but hadn't read them yet. Now I really want to dig them up!

Now I'm reading Fever by Mary Beth Keane, historical fiction about the woman we know of as Typhoid Mary and the ordeal she went through when she's discovered to be an asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid fever. I actually had no idea that she was an actual person. Very interesting and incredibly frustrating because of what she went through at the hands of the NY Department of Health.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread