+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Good grief. Triple post! You guys have got to start posting in here. I'm starting to feel a bit obsessive!

I finished Merry Christmas, Alex Cross this morning. Patterson is never great literature, but it was a nice, little diversion. At the back of the book is a huge list of all the books Patterson has "written," including the massive number of them that are listed as "with" someone else. So, Patterson gives another writer the plot outline, that writer actually writes the book and Patterson gets top billing and probably a larger share of the profits. I guess that's considered smart business on Patterson's part, but it feels dishonest to me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

But I haven't had time to read lately!

Last thing I finished was John McAfee's Last Stand, basically a long, glorified article (Kindle single, I read it in about an hour). It was up to date at the time with the latest goings on, and fairly interesting to see how paranoid and odd this man has become. Sheesh.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree, Critical, Patterson is more like a business than an author... but if you think making money is the point of writing I guess he's got it down.

Creating great literature is definitely not his goal, that's for sure! I guess that's never the point in that genre, but I have a lot more respect for writers who don't farm out their plots to other writers. Clancy did (and maybe still does) the same thing. I knew someone who worked for one of his writers.

I just started Richard Russo's memoir Elsewhere. Talk about a 180 from Patterson! Such beautiful, insightful writing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just finished listening to Nelson DeMille's The Lion's Game. It'a a very long book and while I don't mind reading long books sometimes listening to them makes we wish they were over. I asked my mother if it would be worth it. She assured it would be and she's right. I listened to it every chance I could. I enjoyed it so much. The main character has a humor in his words and thought that occasionally makes me crack up. This book is only the second in this series and I'm happy I have several more to read.

I finished Richard Russo's memoir, Elsewhere last night and wow. It is mostly a memoir of his relationship with his mother, who was mentally ill and extremely dependent on him. Beautifully written and heartbreaking. I met him and heard him speak at an event right around the end of the time period covered in the book. Reading this book was sort of a "you never know what's happening in someone else's life" moment.

Now I'm reading Becky Aikman's Saturday Night Widows a memoir written by a woman who is widowed young and, because she doesn't get what she needs from a widows' support group, she decides to form her own group with younger women. I got the galley in the mail yesterday and because I want to pass it on to my mom at Christmas, I started reading it last night. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's really good. Well-written, poignant, funny.

Okay, so apparently, I'm on a tear. I finished Saturday Night Widows last night. VERY good. I highly recommend it. The author has a lot to say about the grieving process and the healing process, but it's not a depressing book. It read much more like good fiction. When I first received it, I thought it was going to be another of those book club/knitting group/sewing circle books spawned from the popularity of Jane Austen Book Club. Totally NOT the case. This one was much more substantive and insightful, in addition to being a true story.

A few minutes ago I finished Lisa Genova's Love Anthony about two women at crossroads in their lives. I don't want to say too much because it will give away the plot too much, but one of the women had a son who was autistic. My cousin's son is on the spectrum, so (like with Picoult's House Rules), I read it with some personal interest. I loved her previous novel Still Alice, which I think should be required reading for anyone who has a friend or loved on with Alzheimer's. I heard Genova speak a few months ago and really liked her. She said this book was not the book she wanted to write - too personal because her cousin has a son with autism - but that she almost HAD to write it. I'm glad she did.

Next up, I think is Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn, a little novel about what happens when the Queen of England decides to walk out of the palace, hop on a train and take a trip. Total 180 from the last few books I've read. I'm trying to mix it up.

Old Before my Time by Hayley Okines. She is an English girl who has Progeria. Her mother and her both tell of her struggles with the disease, losing friends she has made to it, meeting celebrities. At 15, she is beating the odds were the life expectancy doesn't go beyond 12. A wonderful read uplifting and also sad, about a very brave family and a remarkable girl.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Finally got a copy of Gone Girl (bought it - gave up on the library reserve list, I've been 237th in line forever). So far I'm quite liking it - I'm making myself put it down so I won't finish it too fast. Amy is one creepy chick.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I got a galley of Jonathan Kellerman'ss new one, Guilt and blew through it in a few days. I haven't read one of his in a few years. It was like revisiting old friends.

Now I'm reading The Five Acts of Diego Leon by Alex Espinoza. The main character is born in Mexico at the height of the Mexican Revolution and, a few "acts" later, ends up in Hollywood in 1927 during the silent film era. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.

+ Reply to Thread