+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Jodi Picoult's House Rules. My mom gave it to me to read because it focuses on a young man who has Aspberger's like my cousin's son. It gives a lot of insight into what life is like for him and why he reacts the way he does. Sending it on to my cousin now.

Next up is Magnus Flyte's City of Dark Magic. I met the authors at an event in October and really liked them, so I'm excited to read the book. Prague, Beethoven manuscripts, intrigue....how can that be bad?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Reading A Christmas Carol. I met Charles Dickens great great grandson, Gerald Dickens last Thursday. He does a one man play of A Christmas Carol, it is absolutley astonishing. After the play he was signing books and programs. I was sitting in the lobby with my own copy of Dickens book. I felt a tap on my shopulder and heard a delightful voice ask ``May I borrow your book for a moment?`` It was Gerald Dickens Apparently I own a rare fascimile of the book and Mr.Dickens wanted to show the audience that my book looked exactly as it would have looked when Dickens published it in 1843. Same size (quite small), color (red cover with gold font), same notes by the author, same red/green/black illustrations as appeared in the original. He was quite happy to see it and was genuinely thrilled to be talking with everyone. A lovely man. He travels the world doing one man plays of some of Charles Dickens books. I suggest going to see him should he come your way. He signed the book and gave me a hug. WE have a really nice photo of Gerald Dickens, me and my husband. Hes dressed in his stage costume, which is a replica of what Scrooge was described as wearing in the book. His stage props consist of only a top hat, cane, wing back chair and coatrack. Rereading the book makes me remember how timeless the message is-it might as well be 2012 as 1843.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

redsox girl - My family has gone to Gerald Dickens' one man show before and they all enjoyed it a lot. My brother is a big fan of A Christmas Carol, so he especially loved it.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Not as much of a classic as Christmas Carol, but every year I like to re-read The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis. iIt's decades old but still has a fresh funny appeal. I still laugh and thoroughly enjoy it!
    The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis | A Crowded Bookshelf
    Shoepie and redsox girl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Not as much of a classic as Christmas Carol, but every year I like to re-read The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis. iIt's decades old but still has a fresh funny appeal. I still laugh and thoroughly enjoy it!
    Am I right in assuming that's the same Patrick Dennis that wrote Auntie Mame? If so, I'll have to look for it. Auntie Mame was a favorite of mine as was the Broadway musical. Not so much the movie musical with Lucille Ball. Roz Russell was a much better Mame in the non-musical movie. Same goes for Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur as Mame and Vera Charles in the Broadway musical.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Yes it is the same Patrick Dennis who wrote Auntie Mame. Not many remember him or Mame, but he was funny then and still is today.

I shall now admit to my current guilty pleasure. Many of you probably already know these books, but I've only recently discovered the Pirates series of books by Gideon Defoe. These are a series of short novel, between 100 and 200 pages, and I find them extremely funny and highly entertaining when I'm look for something fun to read. The titles are The Pirates: In an Adventure with 1) Ahab, 2)the Scientists) 3)the Communists, 4) Napoleon, and 5)the Romantics. Just plain silly and absurd, but I've gotten all of them for my Kindle from the public library.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    The Joyous Season is hysterical! I had forgotten about that. Another book that makes you laugh out loud as you read it is Blue Heaven by Joe Keenan. He went on to become the head comedy writer on Frasier. I had to put the book on my chest from time to time as I laughed. My husband read it after me and I got to enjoy it all over again as he read to me the passage that made him a laugh. So good.

I just finished Michael Connelly's new one The Black Box. Standard Harry Bosch stuff. I haven't read one in a while, so it was nice to be back in Harry's world. Not his very best, but I enjoyed it. I usually get galleys of so much literary/book club-ish fiction, so this was a little change of pace.

I wasn't going to read another crime novel/mystery/thriller, but I saw Patterson's Merry Christmas, Alex Cross in a pile of books and thought the timing was appropriate. Haven't read one by Patterson in a very long time - since other people started writing his books for him - but this one only has his name on the cover. I'm cautiously optimistic.

+ Reply to Thread