+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I haven't read those books however I hope you change your mind about characters made famous by another author and read 'Wide Saragasso Sea' ByJean Rhys. It is based on the character from Jane Eyre the madwoman in the attic, Rochester's terrible secret. It is compelling, haunting and a great work of art.

I just started 'Zone One' by Colson Whitehead. The child I mentor loves zombies so I want to read it first to see if it is 12 year-old safe. Already I love it.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I read People of the Book and really enjoyed it. Yes, it had off and on parts, if you were being a critic, but overall, a very good read. You definitely see the history of the Jews in Europe and its relationship to the history of Christians and Muslims, but all portrayed via interesting personal stories. Of course you are left wondering after each vignette what happened to those people, but that's not a real criticism.

Re Unorthodox...my book group's additional criticisms included some feeling that the heroine is unsympathetic...that she seems self centered and especially doesn't appreciate what her grandmother does for her and mourn her loss. But we all still felt it was a very interesting "crosscultural" read.

Thanks for the follow-up PWS! People of the Book looks great - I added it to my list of books to read!

I might wait on Unorthodox...

I'd love to join a book group...sounds great.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'd love to join/create a group, too, but I know so few people who read anymore.

I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin yesterday - wow. I feel like I've been on a journey with the characters! Will be reading the second book for sure.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Passage looks good! Adding that to my list!
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I haven't read those books however I hope you change your mind about characters made famous by another author and read 'Wide Saragasso Sea' ByJean Rhys. It is based on the character from Jane Eyre the madwoman in the attic, Rochester's terrible secret. It is compelling, haunting and a great work of art.

I just started 'Zone One' by Colson Whitehead. The child I mentor loves zombies so I want to read it first to see if it is 12 year-old safe. Already I love it.
    I'll second that. It's a wonderful book. I refuse to read books where the author has co-opted another (and always better) author created, but Rhys' book stands on its own and doesn't even require the reader to know a thing about Jane Eyre. I think that's because Rochester's wife is such a hazy character in Bronte's novel. I tried reading one of the "Mr. Darcy" books and hated it. Couldn't get through more than a chapter or two. Just awful. I love P&P, so maybe I just am too protective of Miss Austen to allow anyone else's idea of those characters intrude. Really though, my feeling is that, if the writer had enough talent, they'd come up with their own characters. I guess I have a low opinion of fan fiction

I finished Melissa Francis' memoir on Friday and wow, what a monstrous stage mother she had! When I read memoirs of people with horrible parents/childhoods, I'm always amazed that the children turned out okay. Not a happy story, but very readable and well-written and, I think, of interest to children of the 70's and 80's who remember Melissa Francis....by face, if not name.

I'm about to finish Fuse, the second in Julianna Baggott's Pure trilogy. Middle books in trilogies are always tricky, IMO. They have to keep the action going, but they don't give you a big payout because the major stuff is held for the third book. Still, it's fun to be back with those characters again and I cannot imagine how the whole thing it going to wrap up with the next book!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I enjoyed Pure, but for the reasons you mentioned, I think I'll wait until the series is complete to read the last two together.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    My husband, a zombie enthusiast (as well as myself) read it but didn't care for it. Its hard to pick for a youngster though, 12 is so on the cusp.... you might want to check out the Rot and Ruin series by Maberry. DH loved it and it circulates well from our YA fiction at the library.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Ok just finished notorious 19. Stephanie needs to pick a man like yesterday. Preferably,Ranger. I mean I do like Morelli but he is just so boring. The only thing he has in common with Steff is sex. A lot of the time she can't even make up her mind if its as good as she says it is. There is never a doubt about ranger. A man who doesn't mind you continuously blowing up his high end cars is a keeper.lol
    I'm listening to it on audio and love it... but I've enjoyed every audio version of the Plum books. Its not deep but its fun.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

beerbelly--If you are looking for science fiction for a young teen I'd really recommend Alexei Panshin's Rite of Passage. It's out of print I think but easily available on Kindle or used on Amazon. It's about a young girl living on a spaceship world as it were. To keep their population under control a little over the age of your child they are landed on a planetary world for a survival test, the rite of passage. They train for it for years... so a lot of it is coming of age stuff, and the girl is a tough cookie, both my sons loved this book as young teens. I was a young adult when I read it and I loved it also.

+ Reply to Thread