+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Just read Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman for my reading group---autobiography of the first 25 years or so of the life of a girl/woman growing up among the Satmar Hasidic Jews. Obviously, from the title, she eventually leaves the community and is cut off, but a very readable story that really explains a lot of the thinking. Likely a VERY different life in the modern US from that lived by any of the FORT women.

PWS - would you recommend Unorthodox?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, I would. For me it was a venture into a pretty unknown world even though I live near NYC. She writes simply and well, and manages to recapture her view point as child and teen well, or so it seems to me. And the view from IN the culture out at the rest of the world, and especially at the rest of Judaism, was very interesting. Now I understand why the Satmars are anti-Israel, for example.
    If you are looking for deep analysis this probably isn't the book for you...it's more like reading an anthropologist's interview with a member of a studied culture. An "easy" read, and I did find it hard to put down at times, which is NOT my usual response to reading biography or autobiography!

I'll let you know if my reading group has any different thoughts--a lot of them are Jewish and several are from the city, so they may have a different take on it. We are all former members of a NOW group in our area, one that met at work and got subsumed into a larger off campus group, so we try to pick books by/about women, often with a feminist theme, and this certainly fits that bill as she works her way towards more independence and the ability to make her own choices. Her goals are modest, going bowling, going to the movies, wearing jeans, fitting in with the outside world, but they are all impossible in the area in which she was raised. Our last book was on the fate of women during the Armenian genocide, so relatively this was a peaceful read, but still with a lot of cultural oppression.
    Last edited by PWS; 11-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    beerbelly likes this.

The Chaperone. I did google Louise Brooks when I started it - I'd heard of her and thought that she would be the central character in the book. So glad she's not! Cora is by far the more interesting. I don't know if it was the author's intention, but Louise is a boring, spoiled child - Cora and her story are much more compelling. Haven't finished it yet but am wondering if the two will end up parting friends.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane - I read The Chaperone a while back and had the same feelings about Louise. What a petulant, spoiled child. I found Cora and her life much more interesting!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ok just finished notorious 19. Stephanie needs to pick a man like yesterday. Preferably,Ranger. I mean I do like Morelli but he is just so boring. The only thing he has in common with Steff is sex. A lot of the time she can't even make up her mind if its as good as she says it is. There is never a doubt about ranger. A man who doesn't mind you continuously blowing up his high end cars is a keeper.lol
    JavaJo likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I enjoyed The Chaperone a lot. Over TG (flying to and from OH) I read White Truffles in Winter by N.M. Kelby - a fictionalized biography of the famous Chef Escoffier. Good thing I don't have easy access to fois gras and truffles!
    Count your blessings!

Thanks PWS. I find the subject interesting as it is such a closed society - one that lives within NYC.

I am reading 'Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West' - very interesting - two woman who were brought in as 'educators' but really they wanted to bring unmarried woman for the single cowboys. I just started it and almost half through. What a different life, bred to be married. And to think, going to 'the wild west' - which it was then.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'm really enjoying Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter. I remember Melissa Francis from Little House, but didn't know what happened to her after the show ended. Yet another show biz memoir that makes me happy for my "normal" suburban upbringing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've been invited to join a book discussion group. The book for next month is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. It's about a woman in book restoration who is asked to validate/repair the Sarajevo Haggadah - based loosely on historical fact. While researching it on Amazon, I also found her book March, about the father in Little Women. While I normally despise books written about characters made famous by another author, this one is loosely based on Louisa May Alcott's father and sounds fascinating. Has anyone read either of these books and can offer comments? I bought them both for my Kindle.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread