+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Jane Austen's Persuasion (I had never read it before) and now I'm going to start Diane Peterfreund's For Darkness Shows the Stars, which is based on Persuasion.

I like to read Amish fiction, so I picked up this book Courting Cate... as I am reading the first few pages, the set up sounds familiar. Oldest sister is a shrew, no one wants to "court" her, younger sister is the one all the young men want to date, she is sweet and lovely, father is widowed and they have money. I flipped to the back cover and see the older sister will be courted by a stranger who comes to the community and will "tame" her... Its The Taming of the Shrew, Amish style! My favorite Shakesperean play!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just picked up In the Sewers of LVOV by Robert Marshall, after watching the movie it inspired In Darkness, which was absolutely gut-wrenching and wonderful (Polish w/English subtitles).
    When the Nazis set out to kill all the Jews in Lvov, a group of 21 people sought refuge in the Lvov city sewer system, where they hid for the next 14 months. They were helped by Leopold Socha, a Gentile who was a former petty criminal and a sewer worker. This book describes the group's experience in hiding, and the life they faced when they finally emerged.
    In the Sewers of Lvov: A Heroic Story of Survival from the Holocaust by Robert Marshall - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Because I'm only reading 3 books already (one in bed, one in the bathroom and another on my phone), I picked up Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter by Melissa Francis. Fans of Little House on the Prairie will remember her as Cassandra Cooper, the little girl the Ingalls family took in. Her older brother was played by Jason Bateman. I didn't know a thing about her other than that she was on LH, which was my favorite show growing up. Apparently, she went on to go to Harvard and now works in broadcast news. Never would have recognized her as an adult. So far, I'm just on the very early part of her career. So far, very well written and readable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finally picked up Gone Girl .I have decided to leave it until we leave for our trip to the caribbean in January( I am lucky the library likes me )
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just started Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I'm only a few pages in, but it seems to be business as usual. Her books are easy fluff and I enjoy them for what they are, so I'm sure this one will be no different.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I just purchased this today. I haven't started it yet.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I just started Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I'm only a few pages in, but it seems to be business as usual. Her books are easy fluff and I enjoy them for what they are, so I'm sure this one will be no different.
    I love the audio version of her books... I'll be in my car laughing out loud... I know its kind of the same old same old, but they are fun and as you say easy fluff.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I really enjoyed Notorious Nineteen, and can see Stephanie getting a perspective about her guys. I can see a choice in the future, I wonder if that signals an ending for the series is coming up? Anyone remember how many total will be in the series, or is it still open-ended -undetermined?

Reading an oolder Judith McNaught book, Remember When. It is good, but her more current books are more enjoyable.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I am reading The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. I am almost through in less than 3 days and I love the narrative and the story. Quite a page turner. I do love female Southern narratives.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread