+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Have any of you read Gone Girl? I've heard so many rave reviews about it that I'm thinking I have to give it a try. But it also seems like a lot of the people raving about it who I know are people who raved about 50 Shades of Gray. I HATED those books, so I'm curious to know if Gone Girl is another horrible trend most people don't want to admit was horrible writing (or don't care) or if this one is really worth all the hype.
    We are reading it for our book club too. One of our members highly recommended it and she is usually spot on with her reviews. She hated 50 Shades of Gray so I'd trust her.

FORT Fogey

I am about half way through Gone Girl right now, and I'm absolutely loving it!!!!It is one of those books where I find myself searching for more time to read. I've even turned off a couple of my favorite tv shows because I wanted to read instead of watching them!
    Jamie5632 likes this.

I finished 77 Days in September. The dialog improved a little bit by the end of the book. It was an easy read but I enjoyed it. The whole thing got me to thinking that if we had a national black out, I'm in no way prepared. My family would be in big trouble.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I just got a copy of Gone Girl in the mail. I'm looking forward to it. I also got an e-galley of Cloud Atlas (the version with the movie tie-in cover) that I started reading on my phone. I don't like reading it that way, but I didn't want to buy the book either.

I've been swamped with stuff for my business, but I have managed to read most of Forever Nude by Guy Goffette, a lovely little novella about Pierre Bonnard and the woman who was his muse and favorite painting subject. Much less a work of fiction than a meditation on love and art. Really good translation from French too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Finished Angelfall by Susan Ee this morning, a YA apocalyptic story that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. The writing style was irritating at first but I got used to it (first person narrative). I was disappointed to get to the end, I didn't want the story to end right there.

Might start The Passage next...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I am reading Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson, a nice little murder mystery set in Yorkshire.
    Friend of the Devil - Peter Robinson - Google Books

I picked up a very complex and interesting YA book for -0- dollars at Kindle called The Fallen Star. This fantasy book written in the first person/past tense by the author, Jessica Sorensen, is woven together with suspense, mystery and wonder. Her writing follows sequence and is very easy to read. The only mistake I've seen so far is using the word lied for laid. I've gone ahead and picked up the remaining three books in The Fallen Star series, each for $1.99. I'm very pleased that such a good read is available at such a great price.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Lionel Shriver's So Much For That. As usual, the subject is grim, but once you start reading it you can't stop. This one is about a family facing financial ruin because of the wife's cancer diagnosis - so, it's basically an attack on the lack of universal healthcare in the U.S. Unforgiving and harsh writing, but the style is what the topic deserves.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm reading a few books at once right now, including Coal to Diamonds, Beth Ditto's autobiography. I got it as an e-galley and it expires off my reader after today, I think, so I'm trying really hard to finish it! One beef I have with the Kindle app is that it doesn't have page numbers. Drives me crazy. I'm also part way through TC Boyle's new one, San Miguel on my phone. Not sue when it expires though. I hope I don't just open up the Kindle app to find it gone before I finish it! I love Boyle's writing style and am really enjoying this one.

I've also got A Game of Thrones in the bathroom. I'm hoping to at least finish it and the next two books (again) before season 3 of the show starts in the spring. I put aside Julianna Baggott's Fuse for a bit to finish the e-galleys, but it's hard to not just tear through it. It took me a little while to get into that world again, but once I did, I didn't want to put it down! I'll get back to it sometime this week, I hope.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

After doing a little more investigating, I found that the e-galley's don't expire on Kindle. They did on the Adobe e-reader app I used on my laptop. I was a little frantic last night until I found that out. I didn't know how I was going to finish both books I'm reading in 3 hours!

I'm close to finishing Beth Ditto's autobiography. Not sure how close I am to the end because Kindle doesn't have page numbers. That would drive me absolutely crazy if I had to read everything that way. Anyway, I knew next to nothing about her before this book, but it's a good read. It's not going to win any writing awards, but it's relatable and has enough dysfunction to make it interesting.

+ Reply to Thread