+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The first one I'm reading? Fuse by Julianna Baggott, the sequel to Pure, one of my favorites from last year. I actually squealed when I saw it....and then heard someone else do the same when she saw it too! I'm hoping this trend continues and book 3 in the trilogy is at next year's show!
    Hi Critical,
    I read Pure by Julianna Baggott and loved it. I am really looking forward to Fuse!
    Jamie,
    I read The Fault in Our Stars and thought it was absolutely beautiful. It spurred me to read other John Green books; loved everything else I've read by him so far.

Right now, I am reading The Twelve, the sequel to Justin Cronin's The Passage and I highly recommend it. I am about halfway through and the story is covering some different perspectives than the first. I said previously that The Passage was in my top ten of all time and now I think The Twelve is right there alongside it!

Is anyone else reading it?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    Hi Critical,
    I read Pure by Julianna Baggott and loved it. I am really looking forward to Fuse!
    Jamie,
    I read The Fault in Our Stars and thought it was absolutely beautiful. It spurred me to read other John Green books; loved everything else I've read by him so far.

Right now, I am reading The Twelve, the sequel to Justin Cronin's The Passage and I highly recommend it. I am about halfway through and the story is covering some different perspectives than the first. I said previously that The Passage was in my top ten of all time and now I think The Twelve is right there alongside it!

Is anyone else reading it?
    I will now! I'm so glad I saw your post. I agree with you, The Passage was a favorite of mine too.
    I'm reading Life of Pi.

Glad to hear The Passage was a good one, I have it queued up on my Kindle. I didn't want to jump into The Twelve without reading the first book.

Have to finish my Stephen King/Joe Hill short story In The Tall Grass first!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Reading an interesting mystery series by Anne Perry, set in Victorian England--EARLY Victorian England--pre American Civil War---it's amazing how long Victoria ruled! Everyone is wearing hooped skirts, a la Scarlett O'Hara. I guess she has two series going, but this one is the William Monk series--a police officer who loses a lot of his memory in an accident--but the character I really like is a nurse, Hester, who works with him... who nursed in the Crimean War with Florence Nightengale and was one of the first "ladies" to enter nursing, previously basically an occupation for women too ugly to be prostitutes. She's what we would call a feminist, used to autonomy during the war situation so constantly not following the traditional role for women of her time; the series follows her adjustment to a society that has changed very little while she's changed a lot. FYI, Monk finds Hester totally unfeminine although he likes working with her, although one can see that very gradually things are changing a bit...so this isn't a romance series. Anyway, very interesting for the incredible limitations you see on women's roles and how it can drive them to do very unexpected things. So many basic freedoms we take for granted! Don't mean to imply it's full of polemics, the information is worked in very naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Have to finish my Stephen King/Joe Hill short story In The Tall Grass first!
    Oooh! I'd like to read that! Is it in a short story collection or online?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It was a single short story, at least that's how I got it for my Kindle. There was also a snippet at the end of an upcoming sequel to The Shining that he's writing...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    Hi Critical,
    So far, I'm really enjoying Fuse. I've been absolutely swamped with my business and haven't had much time to read, so it's probably going to take me a while to finish it. I'll be sure to post a review when I finally finish
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had sent my son The Cloud Atlas and in a phone call just now we were trying to compare notes and it became apparent that he was reading a completely different book. I looked on my Kindle and told him the author (David Mitchell) and his was someone named Liam someone. I was so mad at myself!!! I got right on Amazon and sent him the right one, but he's already 7 chapters into the other one.
    The same thing happened to me at the Library. I asked the Librarian to reserve Cloud Atlas for me and she reserved The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan. The mistake was in the title 'The'. It looks interesting, so think I'll give it a try and see if I like it. I also reserved Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Also, there are two books with the name Life of Pi again, 'The' being the difference in the title. Life of Pi by Yann Martel is the one the movie is based on. I just finished reading it and although it was a different read for me, I enjoyed it.

I read Life of Pi many years ago, when it first came out. Although I remember enjoying the book, I don't see how it'll translate well into a movie.

I just finished reading Unbroken, by the author of Seabiscuit. What a story. Well written, full of interesting facts and amazing characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I read Life of Pi many years ago, when it first came out. Although I remember enjoying the book, I don't see how it'll translate well into a movie.

I just finished reading Unbroken, by the author of Seabiscuit. What a story. Well written, full of interesting facts and amazing characters.
    I felt the same way about Life of Pi being adapted for the screen but then I saw the trailer and found out that Ang Lee directed. I think I might see it.

I loved Unbroken. Such an amazing story!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread