+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm re-reading Cloud Atlas before the movie comes out Oct. 26th.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm re-reading Cloud Atlas before the movie comes out Oct. 26th.
    I'm reading it for the first time! I'd seen the ads for the movie and wanted to read the book first. After the first chapter I thought WTF?? but I'm into the second chapter and now I'm hooked!

The first chapter is the hardest. My advice to anyone I recommend it to is to just slog through that first chapter and keep going. Don't try to remember anyone's name or details of the storyline. At the very end when you get back to that first chapter, it will be so rewarding!!!!
    Count your blessings!

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and I LOVED it. I wasn't all that excited about reading a book about kids with cancer, but I finally gave in to peer pressure and am glad I did, it was truly fantastic. It was funny and sad and tender and I highly recommend it.
    Wag more, bark less

I went to the annual booksellers trade show last weekend and came home with huge bags of books, including new ones from Dennis Lehane, Barbara Kingsolver, Tracy Chevalier, Michael Connelly, Tom Wolfe, Richard Russo, Whitney Otto and so many more. The first one I'm reading? Fuse by Julianna Baggott, the sequel to Pure, one of my favorites from last year. I actually squealed when I saw it....and then heard someone else do the same when she saw it too! I'm hoping this trend continues and book 3 in the trilogy is at next year's show!

I'm swamped with lots of business stuff, but once I get reading, I'll post some reviews. I think I got some good ones this year!
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    One of my co-workers was reading it and didn't like it.
    I finished Rowling's new book last night. I know some readers will be turned off by the language and content and lack of a "gripping" story or plot, but it was an interesting read. Lots of interesting characters. I never knew where the story was going to go and actually exclaimed "No way" out loud a few times. My husband thought I was nuts. It probably won't be a classic or anything but it's worth a read IMHO.

I'm also listening to the Potter series on audio book. I have a 2 hr commute 3 times a week and it really helps pass the time. I much prefer the Potter story and find that Rowling's style of writing (the focus on theme and character development, symbolism, etc) lends itself better to a series for young adults than a one off book for adults. It was almost as if she tried to make "The Casual Vacancy" too adult-y to differentiate it from Potter.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Almost done with Available Dark by Elizabeth Hand. I had read a great review about it and thought I'd give it a try. I can't really rave about it like they did, but I liked it enough to read the next in the series when it comes out.

It probably didn't help that I kept picturing the main character - a pill-popping, meth snorting burnout photographer - as Courtney Love.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I had sent my son The Cloud Atlas and in a phone call just now we were trying to compare notes and it became apparent that he was reading a completely different book. I looked on my Kindle and told him the author (David Mitchell) and his was someone named Liam someone. I was so mad at myself!!! I got right on Amazon and sent him the right one, but he's already 7 chapters into the other one.
    Count your blessings!

I started reading 77 Days of September. It's ok. The premise is similar to the new tv show Revolution, and I find it fascinating. However, the writing style is very .....immature? The dialog seems a little stilted, the conversation doesn't really flow, at least not yet. I'm not very far into it so I'm hoping that he hits his stride and that improves, but the concept is good, so I'll keep plugging away.

Has anyone read Zoo by James Patterson? It's on my Kindle waiting for me to read but I've heard mixed reviews. Some people love it, others hate it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

My job today, going into the hurricane and threat of power outages, is to research on Amazon the titles on my Kindle I don't recognize. I downloaded them at some point thinking they would be a good read, but no idea now what they're about.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread