+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    Is anyone on here planning to (or already started) read the J.K. Rowling book? I'm not sure if I should get it or not.
    I picked it up at the grocery store yesterday and started it last night. I didn't know what to expect and hadn't read any reviews or synopses. If I wasn't told it was written by JK, I definitely wouldn't know it. Once I got past the adult content ("omg, Harry would NEVER say THAT"), the story unfolded and I got into it. Read way past my usual bedtime.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way into it...anyone else reading?
    Don't let the small things sweat

I have almost finished As Cold As The Grave by Peter Robinson, a fascinating look at a British detective at work in northern England. Peter Robinson’s Official Website Ľ Cold is the Grave
    Also in the middle of Marilyn: The Passion and the Paradox by Lois Banner. This is an amazing fresh look at a famous woman who everyone thinks they already know so well. Marilyn: The Passion and Paradox of Marilyn Monroe by Lois Banner - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I Just started the new JK Rowling book (I helped choose it for our book club) and I'm enjoying it. She's pretty descriptive and the reading flows.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    Is anyone on here planning to (or already started) read the J.K. Rowling book? I'm not sure if I should get it or not.
    One of my co-workers was reading it and didn't like it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Read Broken Harbor by Tana French all in one long gulp. Very true to the tone of her other books. Finished The Chaperone the day before. Now I need to spend tomorrow attacking the list I made myself for this three day weekend. Would recommend both books.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Have any of you read Gone Girl? I've heard so many rave reviews about it that I'm thinking I have to give it a try. But it also seems like a lot of the people raving about it who I know are people who raved about 50 Shades of Gray. I HATED those books, so I'm curious to know if Gone Girl is another horrible trend most people don't want to admit was horrible writing (or don't care) or if this one is really worth all the hype.

I very much liked Gone Girl. The ending was a bit of a "huh", but overall I liked the book and think it is worth a read. WAY better than 50 Shades!
    Wag more, bark less

Recently finished John Dies at the End by David Wong, one of the weirdest, most addictive horror/comedy books I've ever read in my life. It's like the Evil Dead movies. On acid.

There is a sequel that's going to be out soon (might be already). I'll be reading it for sure.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Have any of you read Gone Girl? I've heard so many rave reviews about it that I'm thinking I have to give it a try. But it also seems like a lot of the people raving about it who I know are people who raved about 50 Shades of Gray. I HATED those books, so I'm curious to know if Gone Girl is another horrible trend most people don't want to admit was horrible writing (or don't care) or if this one is really worth all the hype.
    It's a good read. It really keeps you guessing. You think you know one thing and then she throws you a curve ball and just when you think you have it all figured out, she hits you again. I agree the ending was ...meh....not how I would have ended it, but getting to that point is a wild ride...lol
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Thank you Jamie5632 and JavaJo! My book club picked it for our book next month, so I guess I'm about to find out how it is!
    Jamie5632 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread