+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Starbuck: Speaking crime novels set in foreign places, have you read Arnulder Indridason's books set in Iceland? They are pretty quietly done, but intense and interesting nontheless.
    Arnaldur Indridason (Author of Silence of the Grave)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Finished I, Zombie by Hugh Howey this weekend and really recommend it to fans of the genre. The different stories are told from the points of view of the infected instead of the usual human side of the story, and while there was still a good bit of gore, several of the chapters were quite touching and sad. Two (rotten) thumbs up!

Now I'm reading The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown by Claire Ridgway as a change of pace. Very addictive reading so far...
    thanks for the zombie rec, will check it for Kindle. Have you ever read Zombie Ohio by Scott Kenemore. Told from the zombie's pov as well.

I have the Anne Boleyn collection by the same author. Haven't finished it though.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Not familiar with the Zombie Ohio book, but definitely will check it out! I loved the Boleyn book, the chapters were written like diary entries (short and to the point) which helped me keep all the people involved straight. The author is a huge fan of Anne's, apparently.

Finished White Lies by Jeremy Bates last night, it was a pretty good suspense/crime story of one little lie that snowballed into a great big mess.

I keep adding to my poor Kindle, so I don't know what I'm going to read next! The list is growing...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I'm really into Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It came out in 2010, so not a new book, but it is really involving and very poignant.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm really into Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It came out in 2010, so not a new book, but it is really involving and very poignant.
    I love her books. If you enjoy Winter Garden, you might like some of her other books.
    I'm on the reserve list for her newest book Home Front.

Thanks! I was wondering about that. I really am enjoying this one.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I've been slowly reading through a jumbo stack of borrowed books ...and I'm either getting pickier about what I read or maybe just had some bad luck with the book choices. The authors were mainly the big ones you'd know of if you didn't really read all that much so I expected some good reading but I found the stories were just so mediocre and the endings pretty campy. I'm currently reading The Associate by John Grisham and it's not terrible but again I just find that the characters are continually make terrible decisions just to keep the story line going.

I was at Costco on the weekend and they had the new Stephen King book for pretty cheap so I grabbed a copy for when I finish with the loaners. After all the good reviews here I'm super excited to get to it!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Is anyone on here planning to (or already started) read the J.K. Rowling book? I'm not sure if I should get it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    Is anyone on here planning to (or already started) read the J.K. Rowling book? I'm not sure if I should get it or not.
    Unless I can get it for free, probably not. I just have too many books sitting around here unread. The only books I pay for any more are for my book club. I'm going to wait to see more reviews before I decide. I'll probably read it eventually, but I'm not in any hurry.

Yesterday - realizing that my book club meets this coming week - I picked up our latest selection, Old Master, New World by Cynthia Salzman. It's about the American collectors in the late 19th/early 20th centuries who bought up Old Master paintings to establish great art museums in this country. So far, I've covered JP Morgan, Isabella Stewart Gardiner and Henry Marquand (many of his acquisitions went to the Met). I wasn't expecting it to be a quick read, but I breezed through 100 pages this morning. I couldn't put it down! I've read Salzman's The Portrait of Dr. Gachet and loved it, so I shouldn't be surprised. She has a way of giving you tons of information without it feeling dense. It's definitely making me grateful for those wealthy tycoons and magnates (and their widows) who thought it was important to spend their money on the arts and then donate their collections or make them available to the public. Without them, we'd have very few of our great American art museums.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm starting to read Japanese novels, and have read most of Kokoro by Natsume Soseki, a late 19th century novelist of great importance in Japan. It's a pretty good book, but very slow and a bit tortuous. It focuses on two characters. a young student and an older friend whom he simply calls "Sensei" (Japanese honorific for "teacher"), and their somewhat mysterious and allusive relationship. Most of what draws them together is unclear but there is a great "secret" from Sensei's youth that has caused him to become very withdrawn and pessimistic, which is clarified at the end. This for me made the novel more inexplicable and unmotivated, rather than providing any narrative drive-- because it's not even clear that this secret exists, except in small hints. So the book is, although concise and readable, is not one that I entirely recommend.

I've just begun another book that looks more promising, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Although I've only read a few pages, it starts off with a spritely, wry tone and a lot of energy that seems promising. He's one of the latest sensations in Japan, so I"m looking forward to reading a book that is one part thriller and two parts excavation of the contemporary Japanese cultural milieu. Or so I infer from the blurb.

+ Reply to Thread