+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 715 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115165565 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Finished Pride and Predjudice, a most civil book for those of discernment. Pray, sister should I try Emma next or Sense and Sensibility?
    I'm probably too late to advise you here, but .... read them both. And then Northanger Abbey. The only Austen book I don't much like is Persuasion.
    And for you fellow Austen nerds, I got to visit Bath this week. They have a Jane Austen museum, and a costume museum in the assembly rooms. And the Pump Room is actually above the remains of ancient Roman baths, which I think had not been rediscovered in Austen's time.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Jay
    Any Stephen Coonts fans out there? I haven't read any of his books and I am wondering which should I read.

I am also anxiously awaiting Tom Clancy's next paperback "Teeth Of The Tiger". It is out July 26th.

I just finished Alias Grace, it was interesting, but slightly depressing, thank god I wasn't born poor and female 120years ago.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I just finished "The diary of a mad bride" by Laura Wolf. She's hilarious.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower a few days ago. That was one of those books that was so good that I was almost sad that it had to end. Definitely the best book I've read this summer. I'm now starting The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and after that I have to read Pride and Prejudice for my English class. I'm really scared to start P&P because I'm afraid it's going to be one of those English written books with language that makes no sense to me. How difficult is it to comprehend?
    YDiana DeGarmo One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

Katelyn, Pride and Prejudice isn't too hard to comprehend (I don't think -- I first read it in 8th grade and loved it) but there are phrases and words used that you might not catch the meanings of. You'll still get the gist, though, I think. I rarely would recommend watching the movie version of a book, but A&E did a great, practically verbatim film of Pride and Prejudice a few years ago -- it should be at your Blockbuster or your library. (plus it has Colin Firth in it. ). You should still read the book, but watching the movie might help you get a feel for it. I think Austen is like Shakespeare, in that you "get it" better when you see it performed.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Yes, Lucy, I agree, watching the mini-series helps. I did notice that some thing are stated in reverse, like, " i'm sure you can not find it unacceptable to you' and some words are used in a way I wasn't familiar with, condescension,rather than meaning patronizing, seems to mean agreeable. Felicity is everywhere, as is civility. But it's much easier to understand than Shakespeare, and after a chapter or so you get used to the lingo. If you need help for your school paper, just go to The Republic of Pemberley, they've analyzed the books to death.

Thanks guys I work at the library so finding the video shouldn't be too hard. Thankfully all I have to do this summer is read it and take notes.

MY AMERICAN IDOL

*faints* That video is 5 hours long. I have a short attention span with movies so I might have to just tough it out with the book.

MY AMERICAN IDOL

FORT Fogey
    The "Pride and Prejudice" video is great! It's a good companion to the book.

+ Reply to Thread