+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    These reviews aren't making me want to pick Shadow up. I think I'll wait a bit. That's too bad, I thought the first book was great!
    Maybe wait until book 3 is about to be released, so you can read to the conclusion of the story. I enjoyed book 2, but it was a let down because there was no resolution. It was like The Empire Strikes Back - great (okay, Empire was better than this book!), but unfulfilling. I hope she writes fast because I DO want to read the final book. Like I said too, I think if I had read book 1 more recently, it would have been better. I forgot a lot!

AJane - I sort of swore off Anita Shreve after a few downers, notably The Last Time They Met, but I really liked Testimony. It was very different from some of her other books, many of which have a sort of "sameness" about them.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Maybe wait until book 3 is about to be released, so you can read to the conclusion of the story. I enjoyed book 2, but it was a let down because there was no resolution. It was like The Empire Strikes Back - great (okay, Empire was better than this book!), but unfulfilling. I hope she writes fast because I DO want to read the final book. Like I said too, I think if I had read book 1 more recently, it would have been better. I forgot a lot!
    I re-read book 1 right before book 2 and it didn't really make it better. There wasn't much carry-over from book 1 to book 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I re-read book 1 right before book 2 and it didn't really make it better. There wasn't much carry-over from book 1 to book 2.
    I literally couldn't remember the characters, other than the two main ones. I read it about a year and a half ago, so I had forgotten most of it. I really think it would have been better for me to get a refresher because I didn't remember much of anything from the book. I felt like she didn't give much background about what happened in book 1 and the action literally picked up right where book 1 left off, so I was kind of lost for a little while.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just finished The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty and LOVED it! A book rep recommended it to me and she was SO right. It's set in the 1920's and the main character - a married woman in her mid-30's living in Wichita - agrees to act as a chaperone to a teenage Louise Brooks (yes, that Louise Brooks) in NYC.

Here's the blurb from Amazon:
    USA Today's #1 Hot Fiction Pick for the summer, The Chaperone is a captivating novel about the woman who chaperoned an irreverent Louise Brooks to New York City in 1922 and the summer that would change them both.

Only a few years before becoming a famous silent-film star and an icon of her generation, a fifteen-year-old Louise Brooks leaves Wichita, Kansas, to study with the prestigious Denishawn School of Dancing in New York. Much to her annoyance, she is accompanied by a thirty-six-year-old chaperone, who is neither mother nor friend. Cora Carlisle, a complicated but traditional woman with her own reasons for making the trip, has no idea what she’s in for. Young Louise, already stunningly beautiful and sporting her famous black bob with blunt bangs, is known for her arrogance and her lack of respect for convention. Ultimately, the five weeks they spend together will transform their lives forever.

For Cora, the city holds the promise of discovery that might answer the question at the core of her being, and even as she does her best to watch over Louise in this strange and bustling place she embarks on a mission of her own. And while what she finds isn’t what she anticipated, she is liberated in a way she could not have imagined. Over the course of Cora’s relationship with Louise, her eyes are opened to the promise of the twentieth century and a new understanding of the possibilities for being fully alive.

Drawing on the rich history of the 1920s,’30s, and beyond--from the orphan trains to Prohibition, flappers, and the onset of the Great Depression to the burgeoning movement for equal rights and new opportunities for women--Laura Moriarty’s The Chaperone illustrates how rapidly everything, from fashion and hemlines to values and attitudes, was changing at this time and what a vast difference it all made for Louise Brooks, Cora Carlisle, and others like them.
    I REALLY loved this book! I started it yesterday and finished it this afternoon. In the midst of a lot of craziness in my house at the moment, I still couldn't put this down. Stayed up WAY too late (or, rather, early) reading it and then picked it right back up as soon as I woke up. This one definitely gets

Oh, Critical! You've done it again. Downloading right now. Sounds fascinating.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Oh, Critical! You've done it again. Downloading right now. Sounds fascinating.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

FORT Fogey

Another for The Chaperone. I have the audio version which was narrated by Elizabeth McGovern and loved the story and her narration of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I literally couldn't remember the characters, other than the two main ones. I read it about a year and a half ago, so I had forgotten most of it. I really think it would have been better for me to get a refresher because I didn't remember much of anything from the book. I felt like she didn't give much background about what happened in book 1 and the action literally picked up right where book 1 left off, so I was kind of lost for a little while.
    Plus, it picked up in a whole different setting/time/place. And the first book was crammed full of details. A lot happened. Too much to remember. I stopped at about 56%. I couldn't finish it. I tried, but no go. When three comes out, I'm going to try again but for now, I'm reading fluff.
    inthegarden likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Has anyone here read The Hangman's Daughter? I've literally been trying to read it for months as I got a free copy of that and an advance copy of the sequel (which I'm yet to get to). I just can't get through it and I figured for all the raving about it it wouldn't be as tedious of a read that I'm finding it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Has anyone here read The Hangman's Daughter? I've literally been trying to read it for months as I got a free copy of that and an advance copy of the sequel (which I'm yet to get to). I just can't get through it and I figured for all the raving about it it wouldn't be as tedious of a read that I'm finding it to be.
    I have a couple of free downloads I just can't get through.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread