+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I saw the Damage movie. It was very dark and quite compelling. It also starred Jeremy Irons, Miranda Richardson, Rupert Graves, Peter Stormare, Leslie Caron, and some other excellent actors that I can't recall at the moment. Is that the one you mean, Critical?
    Juliette Binoche was exceptional.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Juliette Binoche was exceptional.
    She usually is.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I finished Shadow of Night yesterday and, although I liked it, it wasn't satisfying, since it's the second in the trilogy. I felt like SO much was left unresolved.

I picked up Jennifer Weiner's new one, The Next Best Thing last night and couldn't put it down. Her books are like bon bons. I finished it this morning. I've had so much crazy stuff going on in my house over the last month that it felt good to lose myself in a book for a while.

I'm reading Jay Caspian Kang's The Dead Do Not Improve next. I haven't started it yet, but I've heard really good things.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-14-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Discovery of Witches and started Shadow of Night last night. DOW was very good - I couldn't put it down. I'm interested to see where SON goes. Mostly, I'm hoping she sticks to the same time schedule, so that the third book will be out soon after the first of the year!!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I finished Shadow of Night yesterday and, although I liked it, it wasn't satisfying, since it's the second in the trilogy. I felt like SO much was left unresolved.
    I felt the same way! I'm hoping that it was just that so much was left unresolved - but I didn't think that it was as good as Discovery. Hopefully the 3rd book will fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I felt the same way! I'm hoping that it was just that so much was left unresolved - but I didn't think that it was as good as Discovery. Hopefully the 3rd book will fix this.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I found myself looking at the lists of characters at the back of the book an awful lot too. Had a hard time keeping so many names straight! I think I really would have benefited from reading book 1 again, but I don't know where it is at the moment!

I'm almost finished with Kang's The Dead Do Not Improve. WOW! Great writing and fun to read about a city I know pretty well (SF).
    The blurb from the dust jacket:
    On a residential Bay Area block struggling with the collision of gentrifier condos and longtime residents, stymied recent MFA grad Philip Kim is sleeping the night away when bullets fly through a window in his apartment building and end up killing one of his neighbors. Philip only learns about the murder the next day when bored and Googling himself. But when he gets caught up in the investigation and becomes the focus of an elaborate, violent scheme, he will learn far more than he ever wanted to about his former four-eggs-at-a-time borrowing neighbor Dolores Stone, aka “The Grey Beaver,” and her shocking connections to an underworld only a city like this one could create.
    Siddhartha “Sid” Finch, a homicide detective bitter about everything except his gorgeous wife, and his phlegmatic, pock-marked partner Jim Kim, land the case. Sid and Jim race after Philip through a menacing, unknowable San Francisco fending off militant surfers, vaguely European cafes, and aggressive Advanced Creative Writing students as they all try to figure out just who’s causing trouble in this city they love to hate.
    Exceedingly unique, pulsing with vigor and heart, and loaded with fierce, fresh language, The Dead Do Not Improve confirms Jay Caspian Kang as a true American original as obsessed with surfing and surviving as with the power of unforgettable storytelling.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I'm struggling just to finish it. I've been reading it for maybe two weeks and I'm not even halfway through it yet.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

These reviews aren't making me want to pick Shadow up. I think I'll wait a bit. That's too bad, I thought the first book was great!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Has anyone read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn? I loved the book, but I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the ending. Then again I'm not sure how else it could have ended It's a thriller about a man who's wife goes missing....and honestly, if I say more, it will be too much Good, good stuff!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I had to take a break from post-apocalyptic stuff...after a string of tragedies that have happened close to home for me, I was getting depressed. Picked up Anita Shreve's Testimony and a couple of Joyce Carol Oates that I haven't read - Missing Mom and A Fair Maiden. I don't know that Oates is the best author to lift the spirit, but I've started with the Shreve. I'm not a huge fan of hers - for me she's like Jodi Picoult, who occasionally comes out with something really compelling but it's a hit-and-miss - but this one sounded interesting.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread