+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading a book called Other Women by Lisa Alther. I can't remember if it was recommended here or a free download. It is about a woman undergoing therapy told alternately from the woman's and her therapist's points of view. I find it fascinating because I've never had therapy or read much about it and never even considered the therapist's point of view. I'm wondering how universal the stages are because the therapist seems to prepare for each stage of the therapy before it unfolds. This is what I love about reading - learning so many different viewpoints outside of my own.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm reading a book called Other Women by Lisa Alther. I can't remember if it was recommended here or a free download. It is about a woman undergoing therapy told alternately from the woman's and her therapist's points of view. I find it fascinating because I've never had therapy or read much about it and never even considered the therapist's point of view. I'm wondering how universal the stages are because the therapist seems to prepare for each stage of the therapy before it unfolds. This is what I love about reading - learning so many different viewpoints outside of my own.
    Me too! I have a friend who likes reading books about people like her. How boring! Not that she's not an interesting person, but why would I want to read only about someone just like me? I love reading about people who are nothing like me and places I've never been.

I'm a few hundred pages into Shadow of Night and am really enjoying it. I've had so much work going on in my house (and so much left to do myself) that I just haven't had much time to read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

The taliban cricket club by Timerin Murari

Picked it up in an Australian book shop on my last trip home, actually it was one of 8 books I brought last trip not that books are hard to get here, there are actually some great books shops in the city and they are very much cheaper than in Aust but they tend to not have as big a range and you can wait a long time for non best sellers and well some authors are just not available at all but it has made me read authors I may not have considered before.
    The books premis got me and I have tried to write a short version of it but I am struggling to do so without it sounding as boring as a cricket test match. Its really not boring at all
    Its a funny and entertaining tale of friendship and love in Kabul
    Thankfully you dont need to appreciate or even understand cricket to like the book

Damage by Josephine Hart. I can't say it was a pleasant story at all, but it was interesting in a train wreck sort of way. The main character - a cold, soulless man - has an affair with his son's fiancee, who is almost as devoid of feeling as he is. Bad things ensue. I think a movie was made of this book a few years ago?

I found a parody of Fifty Shades of Grey on Amazon, I might knock that one out next just to lighten my mood.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Damage by Josephine Hart. I can't say it was a pleasant story at all, but it was interesting in a train wreck sort of way. The main character - a cold, soulless man - has an affair with his son's fiancee, who is almost as devoid of feeling as he is. Bad things ensue. I think a movie was made of this book a few years ago?

I found a parody of Fifty Shades of Grey on Amazon, I might knock that one out next just to lighten my mood.
    I think Damage was a movie IIRC, Juliette Binoche played the daughter. I remember reading the book and not liking ANY of the characters!

So there's a parody of FSOG? I thought it would be funny enough on its own!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's called Fifty Shades of Silver Hair and Socks, by Phil Torcivia. It probably would have helped to read the original (but I just can't force myself to do it ). This one is just a short story, but it's pretty funny/smartassy from the few pages I've read.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I finished Unbroken last night and was emotionally exhausted. It was excellent, but not something I'd read again. It was just so upsetting. Inspiring, but upsetting.
    I just finished reading Unbroken. I don't usually like reading war stories because they leave me so upset, but I couldn't put this book down. This is simply an incredible story of survival and dignity in the face of unimaginable horror.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't think I could ever have been as forgiving as Louie was. But he is still alive, so I guess his ability to forgive helped keep him healthy.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

FORT Fogey

That is such a fantastic book! The way the author writes just amazes me. She told you in the beginning that she had met him, and yet she still manages to write in a way that at times, you're unsure of whether or not he'll survive.
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    It's called Fifty Shades of Silver Hair and Socks, by Phil Torcivia. It probably would have helped to read the original (but I just can't force myself to do it ). This one is just a short story, but it's pretty funny/smartassy from the few pages I've read.
    I got that one, too. Haven't started it yet, but it's on my short list.
    waywyrd likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think Damage was a movie IIRC, Juliette Binoche played the daughter. I remember reading the book and not liking ANY of the characters!

So there's a parody of FSOG? I thought it would be funny enough on its own!
    I saw the Damage movie. It was very dark and quite compelling. It also starred Jeremy Irons, Miranda Richardson, Rupert Graves, Peter Stormare, Leslie Caron, and some other excellent actors that I can't recall at the moment. Is that the one you mean, Critical?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread