+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Seeing everyone reading it on here, I downloaded Discovery of Witches this weekend and started reading it. I'm about 100 pages in and enjoying it. Funny part is that I really had no idea what to expect - I was just going off of how many people here were reading it. When Matthew showed up and he was described, I just started laughing - because my husband says I am obsessed with "certain creatures" (sorry, can't remember how to post spoiler tags and don't want to put something wrong in here if anyone doesn't know) and I really had no idea these "creatures" were in this book!!
    When I started it, I too had no clue what to expect. A friend recommended it to me as "easy, fun reading." And I laughed because she and I have been "trading" creature stories also.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I'm reading Broken Skin by Stuart Macbride. A crime novel set in Scotland, its different from my usual crime and cop stories--very quirky and unpredictable.
    Books | Broken Skin
    I decided to pick this up( and I cannot put it down) .I don't know if I should say thank you or not Between this and the Olympics, I am getting very little done

norealityhere likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

My copy of Shadow of Night came today! Also in the box were The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty, Juliet in August by Dianne Warren and May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes. Such a fun surprise! Now I just have to find the time to read them!

I've had a terrible water leak in my house that ruined a big patch of carpet, so I now am faced with packing up and removing all of my books and bookcases this weekend so that new carpet can be installed. I'm happy about the carpet, but not so happy about the prospect of moving all of those books. I keep thinking this will be an opportunity to get rid of some books, but I doubt it will make much of a difference. I'm buying more shelves instead!

The thing about going through every book you own is that you find all sort of books that you bought and really wanted to read, but then forgot you owned. ARGH! The "must read NOW" pile is getting bigger!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I finally finished "Heft" and while the ending wasn't 100% satisfactory, I'm okay with it, unlike a lot of things I've read or seen lately. Tonight I started "Floating Souls" by the local forensic anthropologist, Mary Manhein, from LSU. So far, it seems like a Kathy Reiches copy-cat, but since I know she's done a lot for the community, I hope it gets better.

I finished 11/23/63. I didn't want it to end! What a story!
    Also finished How I Got This Way by Regis Philbin, which was a remarkable story of his life in tv and how each person chosen for a chapter influenced him and impacted his life. Reading it, you could hear Regis talking! It was written like he talks. He certainly wasnt an overnight success and worried about how his life was going with the same indecision and muddle that all of us do!

Dear God, the books are multiplying. I keep moving and packing them into boxes and there just seem to be MORE of them. Once again, I did not manage my time well!

I started Shadow of Night last night, but haven't gotten very far. I wish I'd given A Discovery of Witches a little skim before I started this one. I read it about a year and a half ago and I've forgotten so much. If only I knew where ADOW actually IS.....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Just finished Seed by Ania Ahlborn - really, really enjoyed it. Sort of The Exorcist meets The Omen in the swamps of Louisiana. I shouldn't have read it at night, it sort of creeped me out. And I'm hard to creep out.

This author has a new book coming out in a few months, and I'll be getting that one for sure. I like her writing style!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Just finished Seed by Ania Ahlborn - really, really enjoyed it. Sort of The Exorcist meets The Omen in the swamps of Louisiana. I shouldn't have read it at night, it sort of creeped me out. And I'm hard to creep out.

This author has a new book coming out in a few months, and I'll be getting that one for sure. I like her writing style!
    I am too! Only a few books have done that to me, Helter Skelter among them.....the part where he sets the scene for the first murders and how it was so quiet you could hear ice tinkling in glasses in other parts of the canyon = *shivers* I was sure I could hear someone sneaking up to my window!

I'm really getting into Shadow of Night now and am really enjoying it. It took me a while to remember the first book, but it's all coming back to me
    Last edited by Critical; 08-07-2012 at 06:00 PM.

I read Pure that was recommended here while I was on a quick vacation to see my sister in Chicago. Didn't like it at first, but got hooked once I was into it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I read Pure that was recommended here while I was on a quick vacation to see my sister in Chicago. Didn't like it at first, but got hooked once I was into it.
    It took me a little while to get into it too, but then I was totally hooked. It's one of those books that sneaks up on you. I keep thinking about it and wondering when the next installment is coming out! I've recommended it to so many people, especially fans of Hunger Games. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already bought the movie rights, but I can't imagine how they would adapt it for the screen. One thing's for sure - the makeup people would have SO much fun!

+ Reply to Thread