+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finished Alan Glynn's Bloodland last night. I can't really recommend it. I thought it was okay, but it never really came together for me. I felt like I was reading it through a blurry lens. All of the ingredients for a really good thriller were there, but it just never focused enough. At least it was a fast read.

Now I'm reading Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt's Doomed Quest to Clean Up Sin-Loving New York by Richard Zacks. It's set in NYC in the late 19th century when Roosevelt was the police commissioner and went up against Tammany Hall to get rid of the gambling, prostitution and all-night saloons. This is one of my favorite periods of history and the writing has already got me hooked.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

New site, like Rotten Tomatoes for books: Book Reviews by Critics | Find your next book!

It's about time.
    waywyrd, spockwhat and JavaJo like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I finished Age Of Miracles. It was good, not great. The ending really didn't do anything for me. I thought they could have went another way with that but I kind of figured out how it would end from the narration. I kept thinking that...

Click to see Spoiler:
    this sure doesn't sound like how an 11 year old would think and talk so she must be narrating it from a more mature age...which prevented the ending I thought the book shoud have.

I think I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    New site, like Rotten Tomatoes for books: Book Reviews by Critics | Find your next book!

It's about time.
    I think that site seems pretty hit and miss. One of the ratings I saw gave a Nicholas Sparks book an 80%. This article discusses some of the limitations of their system: iDreamBooks Review Site: Rotten Tomatoes For Books?

While it may end up being a good resource, I still think the best resource is people whose taste you share or opinions you value.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that site seems pretty hit and miss. One of the ratings I saw gave a Nicholas Sparks book an 80%. This article discusses some of the limitations of their system: iDreamBooks Review Site: Rotten Tomatoes For Books?

While it may end up being a good resource, I still think the best resource is people whose taste you share or opinions you value.
    The site has just gotten underway, but apparently they will be building the back catalogue which I will enjoy as I tend to miss books until they've been out for a decade or so. And as I don't share tastes with many people that I know, as things currently stand my major opinion source is Amazon (along with newspaper reviews), so I'm glad to have an additional source which will aggregate newspaper reviews from around the continent (globe?).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I picked up Gone Girl to read on a plane and in the airport on the way to visit my sister. It is a page-turner, insomuch as I was up until 2:30 a.m. knowing we had to be out the door at 8 a.m., to finish the book. That being said, I had huge problems with the two-narrator format, being that they both used unusual turns of phrase to describe things, making their voices sound too much alike. Perhaps that was intentional, as the characters are supposed to be in the heads of each other. But the ending was highly unsatisfactory.

Having nothing else to read for my flight back today, my sister loaned me her copy of Heft, also told from the POV of two different first-person narrators. I'm a bit better than half-way through and while it's not the crime investigation "what comes next?" of Gone Girl, it is more engaging on an emotional level and the two narrators have clear, different voices. My perception of the book may turn on how it ends, but so far so good.

I'm almost done with Carry the One, recommended here and I just started listening to Loving Frank, about Frank Lloyd Wright's mistress.
    Count your blessings!

Wedded to War by Jocelyn Green. Its Christian fiction without the preaching. Set during the start of the Civil War, it follows a woman from a well to do family who, despite male oppostion, becomes a nurse. The scenes are harrowing and sometimes quite gruesome, but oh so realistic. It is one of those books that as you read it, you pause to look up certin things she brings up. I didn't know Brooks Brothers, who made some of the uniforms, used rags and threads that fell apart in the rain! The author has obviously researched her material thoroughly.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King! I feel immersed in the book and the time its set in! So far, so goood.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/bo...pagewanted=all
    Jamie5632 likes this.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

About to start Shadow of Night the new Harkness book. I re-read Discovery of Witches to remind myself of all that happened and I'm so excited for the next book in the series!

+ Reply to Thread