+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Broken Skin by Stuart Macbride. A crime novel set in Scotland, its different from my usual crime and cop stories--very quirky and unpredictable.
    Books | Broken Skin
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Hey all! Just got back from my mother's 80th birthday extravaganza. The first night there, a tornado hit and we had no electricity from that point on. For the 12 hour drives I had my first Steven King on audio - Duma Key. Finished that and started Lisey's Story. Just now I found another audio book of King's in the free room at the recycling center, so I guess that's the theme for my summer driving stories.
    Now I'm going to download Pure onto my Kindle for hammock reading and scour the other posts I've missed.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Speaking of audio books, I just finished The Chaperone, narrated by Elizabeth McGovern (Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey). Alsolutely loved the story and I thought McGovern did a wonderful job of narration. Interesting that the main character's name is Cora, which is McGovern's name on Downton Abbey.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just finished The Lovely Bones. I know I'm a little late on it; but, I enjoyed it. Next up will be A Discovery of Witches to remind my self and prep for Shawdow of Night, which is in the mail to me right now!!

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I just finished The Lovely Bones. I know I'm a little late on it; but, I enjoyed it. Next up will be A Discovery of Witches to remind my self and prep for Shawdow of Night, which is in the mail to me right now!!
    I read the Lovely bones twice. I am so glad you enjoyed it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I finished Unbroken last night and was emotionally exhausted. It was excellent, but not something I'd read again. It was just so upsetting. Inspiring, but upsetting.

I also finished The Orchard by Theresa Weir, a memoir of her life married to a young apple farmer and the frustrations of being an outsider in his world. I wasn't expecting much, but it was beautifully written and really readable. A very quick read.

Now I've got two more going. First is Alan Glynn's Bloodland, a thriller that I'm actually having a hard time following. The author's introduced so many characters so quickly that I'm having trouble keeping everything straight. It also feels like I'm missing something.....like there were chapters left out that would have explained what is going on. It's a fast read and not dull, but I'm hoping this will all come together. The author also wrote the book that was adapted into the movie Limitless, which I really enjoyed, so that's another reason I'm sticking with it.

I'm also reading Across Many Mountains: A Tibetan Family's Epic Journey from Oppression to Freedom by Yangzom Brauen, which is a memoir that tells the story of three generations of women and how their lives are changed when the invasion of Mao's Red Army forces many Tibetans to flee. I'm only on the second chapter, but can tell it's going to be good. Very well written and really interesting. A publishing rep recommended it to me and they're rarely wrong!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am reading the age of miracles. It is kind of a coming of age story set in a time when the earth mysteriously slows its rotation and the effects of that. It is a good book. I am in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Hey all! Just got back from my mother's 80th birthday extravaganza. The first night there, a tornado hit and we had no electricity from that point on. For the 12 hour drives I had my first Steven King on audio - Duma Key. Finished that and started Lisey's Story. Just now I found another audio book of King's in the free room at the recycling center, so I guess that's the theme for my summer driving stories.
    Now I'm going to download Pure onto my Kindle for hammock reading and scour the other posts I've missed.
    We had to read Duma Key for book club and I just couldn't stand it. Glad you liked it though.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Well, I wouldn't say I liked it, but it kept me engaged and made the drive go faster. It's not really my go-to genre.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    I am reading the age of miracles. It is kind of a coming of age story set in a time when the earth mysteriously slows its rotation and the effects of that. It is a good book. I am in the middle of it.
    I started this one last night. So far, so good if not a tad slow at first.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread