+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Well, at least your Kindle takes up less room!

I haven't counted, but I'd guess there are at least 200 unread books piled in various places around the living room (that doesn't count the ones that are on shelves) Everyone who sees this for the first time pretty much has the same reaction - jaws dropping. The smart asses (and the clueless) ask if I've read them all. I wish I could read faster!

I got behind last year when I read the GRRM Ice and Fire series twice. That killed a few months right there. Now I'm playing catch up and reading books as fast as I can!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, at least your Kindle takes up less room!

I haven't counted, but I'd guess there are at least 200 unread books piled in various places around the living room (that doesn't count the ones that are on shelves) Everyone who sees this for the first time pretty much has the same reaction - jaws dropping. The smart asses (and the clueless) ask if I've read them all. I wish I could read faster!
    That is one reason we bought it!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

I am reading 'The Fountain Head'.

I just finished Restoration last night and really enjoyed it. I knew next to nothing about it, so it was nice to just let it unfold.

I started Kill Switch by Neal Baer and Jonathan Greene last night and finished it this afternoon. I love a quick read! The authors are former exec producers on Law & Order: SVU and this book read like a long story arc on that show....and I don't mean that as a bad thing!

Now I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's London Under, non-fiction about the world beneath the city of London. Really interesting stuff!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I finished London Under last night. It was both really interesting and dreadfully dull. Some chapters felt more like someone describing a map, but then others were really fascinating. I think it would have been better for me if London was a city that I was really familiar with. Plus, there was no map in the book, which would have been really helpful.

Now I'm reading Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. It's the story of a group of friends/family whose lives are changed when a group of them drive off on a country road after a wedding reception and a little girl is accidentally hit and killed. The story follows them over many years and we see how that one moment changed all of their lives. Really well written and lots of very good insights about family relationships, sibling relationships, in particular.

Okay, this is getting embarrassing. Three posts in a row? I guess I'm on a tear. I finished Carry the One late last night/early this morning. Although I saw mixed reviews on Amazon, I really loved this book. I also read a blurb in an industry newsletter about how Simon & Schuster employees chose it as their favorite fiction title this season. I thought the writing was beautiful and simple and the relationships, especially between siblings, were really honest. I could definitely identify.

Now I'm reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. It's supposed to be the next big thing a la The Hunger Games. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's gotten my attention. It's another Dystopian novel, but as far as I can tell, they're not considering it YA.

Here's the blurb from the publisher:
    We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .
    Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .
    There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her.

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.

I have John Irving's In One Person waiting impatiently for my family's road trip that starts in a few days. Can't wait for more tales of Austria and bears and wrestling.
    elk likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Now I'm reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. It's supposed to be the next big thing a la The Hunger Games. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's gotten my attention. It's another Dystopian novel, but as far as I can tell, they're not considering it YA.
    Annnnd there goes another book added to my "to-read" list. Sigh. I really need to stop reading this thread!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Pure is really good, way, and reminds me very little of HG. I stayed up WAY too late reading. I'm about 250 pages into it now.

Fox 2000 bought the movies rights, but I'm not sure how they would go about adapting it. SO much happens. even in the first half. I can't imagine they could make one movie out of this first book. They would have to cut so much action. I will say that the special effects makeup people would have a field day!

Well, I think I read myself into an eye strain headache last night I finished Pure ( ) and then read Monstress, a collection of short stories by Fillipino author Lysley Tenorio (also )

I picked up The Orchard by Theresa Weir, but just couldn't read any more. Head still hurts a bit. UGH. And I was on such a roll!

+ Reply to Thread