+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 709 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164564 ... LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Almost done with the Wuornos book there, AJay??
    You know, the sad thing is, I would be if I didn't spend so much time online

And many thanks, dear Sir Lotus My regards to Lady Catherine.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I love your new avatar Jane! Lady Catherine's advice column is under slighty off the Austen track on the front page of the website. I could not stop laughing at some of them.

Just an example

Dear Lady Catherine

I have a troubling matter of the heart. I am in love with a young Wizard and I have reason to believe that he has an inclination towards me as well. But he is a noble fellow, always trying to save the world and has no time to examine his feelings, much less of his feelings towards me. But I don't blame him as much is expected of him to do "great things".

My question to you, Lady Catherine, is - How do I "nudge" him to think at least a little about me? Should I resort to casting a love charm on him? Or slip a little Passion Potion in his Pumpkin Punch?

Do I sound utterly selfish for wanting a little bit of his affections?

Yours sincerely
    (and eagerly anticipating)

Cho-Chang

To win a young man, you simply must point out the flaws in other girls. If you see the young man noticing a young lady, you might mention that her complexion has no brilliance. If she has no conversation, then enlighten him. Of course, you must not let him think you are too critical, so pick a feature to compliment, just to let him know that you are a fair and tolerant creature, but let it be a minor compliment such as: her teeth are tolerable.

Yours &etc,
    Caroline Bingley

I liked the letters from Scarlett O'Hara and Bilbo Baggins

I think I need to get one of those tote bags too.

Oops, must get off line and finish that book, right Texie?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Just finished "Hidden Prey" by John Sandford today, read "Divided in Death" by J.D. Robb over the weekend, right after reading Janet Evanovich's "Ten Big Ones". Tonight, I start "Cadillac Beach" by Tim Dorsey.
    Sing & dance the night away!

FORT Fogey
    I agree with you, lotus & libs. I loved the Vampire Chronicles up to Queen of the Damned, after that they seemed to lose a little charm, although I did actually enjoy Blackwood Farm. I haven't read the Mayfair series yet, I have them, but not much time to read, and I know what happens when I sink myself into an Anne Rice novel. I have read the first two in the "Beauty" series. Steamy, indeed!!

ETA: I have been playing around at the House Of Pemberly. Now I'm totally inspired to re-read Pride and Prejudice!
    Last edited by scarlett530; 07-14-2004 at 11:41 AM.

I'm re-reading it again, after learning more about it at Pemberley.

I liked Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits so much, I've started reading Daughter of Fortune. I have Portrait in Sepia lined up after I finish it.
    Ludicrous speed!

From reading this thread, it sounds like everyone has high praises for American Gods, so I think I'm going to buy it. I just hate the title, I keep thinking of George Bush and Tom Cruise. Same with Me Talk Pretty One Day, a common native slang for people wearing cologne or perfume, is You stink Pretty.

I started reading the Janet Evanovich series and am up to Hard Eight. I love this series as much as the Sue Grafton series. Stephanie Plum is a bungling but loveable bounty hunter and the characters around her are hilarious. It's been a long time that I've read books that make me laugh out loud!

+ Reply to Thread